FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 card reader on Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
P2 card reader on Mac Pro?
on Sep 18, 2008 at 2:47:22 pm

I want to be able to simply insert my P2 card(s) in my new Mac Pro, to offload onto disk(s). Is this possible?

There is the Duel adapter, for MacBook Pro with ExpressCard/34 slot. Is there any PCI-X card for Mac Pro with an Express Card interface? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Using the HPX500 over FireWire locks the cards and the transfer is way below realtime (perhaps because of the G4 I have today).

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: P2 card reader on Mac Pro?
on Sep 18, 2008 at 3:35:10 pm

Yep don't know of any off hand but I've seen some express card adapters for Mac Pro. Shouldn't be too tricky. Have you considered a P2 Drive instead?

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Sep 18, 2008 at 4:28:12 pm

If you can point me to any, I'd be glad!

Not sure what you mean with a P2 drive? If you mean I should connect a disk directly to the HPX500 over FireWire, I still believe the transfer speed would be faster if you plug the P2 card into a card reader over PCIe. I need the speed. :-)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 18, 2008 at 10:00:31 pm

No I meant the AJ-PCD20 P2 drive. It lets you load multiple P2 cards at once and transfer via Firewire 800. It's a little pricey but for loads of transfers to a Mac Pro it's great:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/sales_o/p2/p2drive/

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Sep 19, 2008 at 5:03:50 am

Hi Niklas,
I have spent the last 8 months on the quest for a P2 card Budget reader, since purchase of my 3ghz Macpro, I'm one of thousands that could not justify the cost of the "pana solution".

(Leopard OS has been the problem not the available 32bit hardware)

After importing many card readers, spending many dollars,and many many hours reading, I have finally got a "single slot" P2 card reader to work on the Macpro using a combination of existing hardware and a Modified "kext" file/driver.
We have been testing on two Macpro's with good transfer speeds.
the install of the hardware takes about an hour, the files install takes roughly 30-40mins, Re booting and permissions repairs take most of the time.

I'm still testing prior to release of a DIY kit, that way you can procure the hardware yourself and I'll post the DIY instructions and the Kext files on my web site for a fee to cover the time/money I have spent on this quest.
All up cost should be under $300 US. I have not as yet tested two readers in tandem, "one in another PCIe slot", that will come later.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]