FORUMS: list search recent posts

B Camera for the HVX

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john satre
B Camera for the HVX
on Sep 17, 2008 at 2:38:17 pm

I've been wanting to get a small hd camcorder to have as a backup in case something happens to the hvx mid-shoot or to use as an emergency 2nd camera. A nice consumer camera that is tiny and can sit in the bag just in case, but also has a nice enough picture that it's usable.

At this point I'm thinking either the canon HV30 (hdv on tape) or the canon HG21 (24Mbps avchd on 120gb internal drive). Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or insight.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: B Camera for the HVX
on Sep 17, 2008 at 5:11:52 pm

FIrst question is how do you set up your HVX?

Depending on that answer you want a camera that closely match those settings.

Also what are you recording, are you using an external mic?

To me getting footage that will not match is not much better than shutting down and reshooting, unless you are just getting BTS B-Roll or something like that.

WIthout explaining is detail what type of shooting you do it is impossible to answer your questions.

Return to posts index

john satre
on Sep 17, 2008 at 7:38:04 pm

I guess a way to explain it's use would be that it isn't so much for B-Roll on commercial shoots but rather more of an emergency camera while shooting scenes for a documentary that couldn't be reshot. Or if it happens that a second camera is necessary but no time to get one, this could become the second camera.

Another scenario would be if a producer is heading somewhere and needs to take a small camera just in case. If something happens it can be filmed with onboard mic and although not ideal, we have the option of trying to use it.

In terms of how the HVX is set up the only constant is that it's shooting 720 24p, any other setting is likely to change.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 17, 2008 at 8:16:20 pm

Well in my opinion if you are doing an interview the small cameras are pretty much useless. For getting some cutaways, scenic shoots it maybe okay. BUt in the end you are the one to answer if it cuts together well enough.

Don't know if there is a 24P camera out there but I would really look for that feature if you can find it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 18, 2008 at 11:03:49 am

What about a 170 or HMC150?

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

john satre
on Sep 18, 2008 at 12:47:06 pm

A 170 would be ideal, in fact I'd rather shoot with a 170 than the hvx200 and it's on the list of things to buy when more funding comes through, but the camera we're looking for needs to be cheap and small. The HV30 costs less than taking a varicam out for a day, and it's just a consumer camcorder so it's tiny. The idea of a 170 or hmc150 is very tempting though...

Return to posts index

jeremey shelton
on Sep 20, 2008 at 11:15:33 pm

Have you looked at/considered the Panasonic SD9? We have one for vehicle mount / crash cam. It makes a very nice picture. It records to SD cards and uses the AVCHD codec. It shoots 1080i or 1080 24p. We have been really happy with ours and price is great. We even have a wide angle we slap on when needed. I have some footage if you want to see it in action. Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Sep 21, 2008 at 5:52:26 am

We too use an SD9 for a crash-cam, extreme angle inserts, and emergency stuff if the HVX is otherwise engaged. It's super-compact and easy to make a kit with multiple batteries and SD cards.

Quality is no match to the 200, but in good lighting conditions the image is very good. And the clips are 1920 wide so you have some room to play on a 720 timeline. And it's 24p, hard to find in a tapeless consumer HD. And one more thing, it can record pseudo-surround sound, good for recording ambient / atmospheric sound.

Return to posts index

Michael Rossato-Bennett
on Apr 19, 2010 at 2:20:58 pm

I am shooting a Doc on my HVX200 720p24 I need a camera to give to one of my subjects for their video diary. I was thinking of the HERO cam but it can not take in external audio.

I need an hd cam that can take internal audio and cuts well or at least renders well, any advice?

the Panasonic SD9?

I would like to see your footage!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]