FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic PCD20

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Lim
Panasonic PCD20
on Sep 15, 2008 at 2:30:08 am

I just purchased a Panasonic PCD20 5 slot card reader. My problem is putting it on a separate FW bus so that a FW800 drive does not have to be daisy chained and possibly slowing down download times. I bought a Sonnet FW800 Expresscard adaptor to remedy this situation. The problem is it does not mount and the Sonnet tech has not heard of this happening. Does anyone have any insight to this? Maybe a panasonic representative on this forum has a solution?

Thanks in advance,
Lawrence

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Panasonic PCD20
on Sep 15, 2008 at 4:06:03 am

Does a drive mount to the express card? Does the reader mount to the system FW bus and an external drive to the exp. card?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2008 at 4:22:35 am

What OS are you on?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Lim
on Sep 15, 2008 at 5:04:13 am

So I did some double checking on what I was doing when using the card. First I am on 10.5.4 OS The specs on the card says it is compatible from 10.5 and up. When I mount the card in the expresscard slot it shows as an Icon on the menubar. When I click the Icon it has 3 options. Unknown vendor, Firewire card, and Power off. Of the 3 choices only the 3rd option power off is available to choose. The other 2 are grayed out and unfunctional. Starting to get really annoyed at the card and it's plug and play ability.
It wont event mount with any FW800 drive I plug into it.

Thanks,
Lawrence Lim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2008 at 3:00:26 pm

And what machine are you trying to use this from? Exact specs please.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lawrence Lim
on Sep 15, 2008 at 4:21:44 pm

I am trying to get everything to work together using a Macbook pro 2.6 processor with 4GB ram and 10.5.4 OSX . Any ideas? and thanks again for the reply.

Thanks,
Lawrence

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2008 at 4:38:46 pm

Go to the APple Menu > About this Mac > More Info.

Then check this website:

http://www.sonnettech.com/publicfiles/resources/macbookpro15id.html

Does your Mac match those settings?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Lim
on Sep 15, 2008 at 6:35:33 pm

Thanks,
yes my macbookpro matches those setting on the sonnet site and then some. Bottom line is my computer excedes the min req. for the cards but still not working. I tried everything on the sonnet site and what the sonnet tech replied to but still no dice. Thanks again for the advice.
thanks,
lawrence

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2008 at 6:44:12 pm

If it matches, that means it WON'T work, especially if it's model identifier 2,2 (the part that is circled).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lawrence Lim
on Sep 15, 2008 at 7:18:40 pm

Jeremy,
Sorry, My MBP is the 17" model and it does not match. Got side tracked with the last post due to frustration. Here are the specs.
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
SMC Version: 1.18f4
Serial Number:
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2008 at 10:05:13 pm

Hmm, then that is weird. It is obviously a Sonnet problem. Will they not swap out the card?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lawrence Lim
on Sep 16, 2008 at 3:09:48 am

I am giving up on the card. I sent an email to sonnet twice today. One to the tech dept and second to customer service asking what the return procedure is. No replies. I found another manufacture of a FW800 Expresscard and ordering that. I will give that a try and post results. Thanks for all the help

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 16, 2008 at 4:17:21 am

Sorry for your troubles, Lawrence. That's not good.

Once you get the PCD20 working, it is an awesome addition to the P2 workflow. You did install the dirvers for it, correct?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Sep 16, 2008 at 9:42:20 am

Sounds like you have not loaded any of the drivers for P2. Go to http://www.panasonic.com/p2hd and find the site for ownloads. There is one for the P2 cards and Mac. This should solve your problem.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Lawrence Lim
on Sep 18, 2008 at 6:45:51 am

Thanks for replying again Jeremy and also Jan. Yes I did install the drivers for the PCD-20, I wish it was that easy. I had it working for about 1min. Everything mounted on the desktop but as soon as I plugged in a FW-800 hard drive on the MBP main FW bus the PCD-20 unmounted. I could not get it to work again. I am returning the Sonnet card.

Now for the good news. I found a SIIG brand FW-800/Expresscard adaptor and it works flawlessly. I did a test yesterday with 2 full 32GB P2 cards and a 3rd card with 11.75GB for a total of 71.25GB. 3 streams of P2 downloading to a FW-800 drive took around 36 min. Not bad for time, and worth the investment. Not to mention not worrying about kernal panics from the other brand of P2 card adaptor.

Thanks for all the help from the people that replied.

Thanks,
Lawrence

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]