FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic HPX 500

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Koczanski
Panasonic HPX 500
on Sep 13, 2008 at 3:11:48 pm

I am in the process of purchasing an HPX 500. Torn between 4 16GB cards vs. 4 32GB cards. On the current project I shoot 1 - 1 1/2 hours of tape daily. Considering the 4 16GB cards and adding a P2 Store. Any suggestions? I am not going to edit in the field but am on the road shooting 2-3 weeks at a time. Ideas for best storage on road until returning to studio to post.
Thanks. Any ideas or experiences greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Re: Panasonic HPX 500
on Sep 13, 2008 at 5:37:26 pm

Welcome to HPX500 world Zack,

Your answers will depend on your workflow and the present gear you use. The 64GB P2 cards are supposed to be out this fall and that is what I am waiting for. 4- 64gigrs and you can shoot all day.

Currently I have 2 - 16gbs, but have been recording my studio stuff direct to disk. So save everything to multiple hard drives. They are cheap. You can mirror 2 sata drives to a MacBookPro very simply for downloads..

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Sep 14, 2008 at 9:34:37 am

The thing to remember with larger capacity cards is that if you don't offload during the day, you will have hours of transfer time at the end of the day, depending upon how you work, that can seriously eat into your beer time!!!!
How ever you approach the storage decision, make sure there is some redundancy. For that amount of time I would recommend Nate's solution, and if you are feeling like another level of redundancy, hire an LTO drive and take that with you, with 2 or 3 tape drives. The bonus with this is that your archive is taken care of before you get to the suite. It's also a good idea to be using verification software for the transfer, Shotput or HD Log, or any other recommended ones. When you use these software packages with multiple locations set, the transfer speed will only be as fast as your slowest drive destination. File size comparing is fastest, but file verification eases the mind.
Matthew.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Sep 14, 2008 at 11:47:59 am

Card size: you didn't mention the most important criteria - shoot format. Directly affects duration: DV - 4hr, DV50 - 2 hrs, 720/24pn - 3 hrs, 1080 - 1 hr? That answers your card choice. Unless you can guarantee offloads as you go, get cards to cover the day.

Has the P2 Store been upgraded to a much larger HDD? If it's not up to 300-500GB, forget it. Use an external RAID1 (mirrored) drive array & P2CMS (Panny app) to offload your cards. That gives you the fastest 2 drive backup. I'd get a really nice Pelican case for it, with that much travel. That's been my approach for the last 10 months. Search on my name for much longer discussions of workflow. Have fun with your new tool!

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500

Return to posts index

Steven J. Gilbert
on Sep 15, 2008 at 7:03:45 pm

Zack,

You might take a look at the P2 Gear (AG-HPG10). This is a portable unit that can transfer footage to external hard drives of your choice. If you get a Bus-Powered USB drive you can transfer in the field without AC near. The P2 Gear is battery powered as well. I just got a demo recently and was impressed at the many things it could do. The P2 Store is useless and is only 60 Gb, which is not practical. You could transfer the footage to 2 hard drives for redundancy before reformatting your cards.

Steve

Return to posts index

Richard Boghosian
on Sep 16, 2008 at 12:02:09 am

I read these posts and feel for you guys. No, really. I'll bet if the HDX-900 came out next year, it would be touted as the solution to everyone's challeges with P2 cards re: location storage/backup.

Richard Boghosian
Bogh AV Productions

FCP 6.03 Intel 2.8 8 Core Apple X-Raid and Atto SCSI UL5D Kona LHe

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Sep 16, 2008 at 1:54:45 am

Once you get the workflow down, the many advantages of a tapeless system are **usually** worth way more than any added hassle.

The two main times tapeless is an issue are; 1) extended travel in remote locations where power is at a premium and 2) long duration records.

On the P2 plus side; 1) shoot 20 different formats with the same camera & cards 2) multiple frame rates & instant playback 3) "buffer" recording - never miss a shot 4) no preroll 5) metadata 6) user clip names, ready for editing 7) instant editing, right off the camera, and "push" the edit back to the camera for HD-SDI output 8) delete bad takes 9) shoot some on a card, hand it off for editing, keep going on other cards, "edited" card comes back empty & ready to go (not like 10 minutes recorded on a 30 tape) 10) no log & capture 11) no log & capture (yeah, I'd rather watch it non-linearly) 12) no dropouts 13) no head clogs 14) no condensation on the heads 15) oh yeah, NO HEADS TO REPLACE 16) well, OK, NO MOVING PARTS 17) yeah, I could go on, but I think you get my point.

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Sep 16, 2008 at 9:39:06 am

[Richard Boghosian] "I read these posts and feel for you guys. No, really. I'll bet if the HDX-900 came out next year, it would be touted as the solution to everyone's challeges with P2 cards re: location storage/backup."

Yes Richard they might feel for you too as once you get back to the office with all of that footage you will either have to do the digitizing into the system or your assistant will. And they won't have to send their tape out to have a copy made as they will already have clones of the work. P2 workflow is different than tape and the decision making on the cards is a good one. I like the 16GBs as they are small enough for a fast offload but if working in 24PN you have 40 minutes.

And not to slam the HDX900 because it is a fabulous camera, if the owner of an HPX500 wants to shoot DVCPRO50 next week because a client asked them to, they can. All in the beauty of P2.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Sep 16, 2008 at 12:33:49 pm

Yep... in the past week I've shot: DV25, DV25 16:9, DVCPro50, DVCProHD 720 24fps & 60fps. Not an unusual week. The SD 16:9 shoot, waned some nice slo-mo, so flipped to 720/60fps, dropped it into the SD 16:9 timeline, smooth as buttah.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]