FORUMS: list search recent posts

For those who use Quantum LTO-3A...

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Kramer
For those who use Quantum LTO-3A...
on Sep 8, 2008 at 7:48:16 pm

Couple questions out there for fellow Quantum LTO-3A owners...

1. What are the average transfer rates you're getting...I'm getting about 20-30MB/sec...but it should be faster, no?

2. What do you use to catalog your tapes? Is there something out there less expensive than Pictron's Network Tape Gateway?

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
Re: For those who use Quantum LTO-3A...
on Sep 8, 2008 at 10:45:56 pm

Hi Scott,
We have been using one for a year now. I like you thought it would be quicker, but the higher data rates quoted in the literature are for optimum transfer speed, like smaller files through the on board cache rather than our larger video files to tape. How the data is arranged on tape, free space and where it is, all contribute to slowing down the whole process. In our environment it is always a background application and left to overnight if need be.
Slow speeds aside, we are happy with the device. The web browser access could be better, allowing for larger file info windows would be good. Also found that breaking projects down into smaller folders within a large project folder helps in data retrieval. Automatic Duck FTP was suggested as a good alternative, but it mismanages the files and makes changes to them that render them unreadable. We haven't tried any other FTP apps as the web browser works fine.
As far as library, we are just using a custom layout in File maker Pro with set search fields. We have been using this for years and our library is over 9000 items. There are fields for jpegs or small mov files to review, as well as an individual numbering system with barcode options.
Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Gary C.J. Schweikert
on Sep 9, 2008 at 3:34:04 am

HI Scott,
I am a new user to LTO3a and have been slowly getting my head around it.
I have found that as your files get smaller, the process slows a lot.
I archived my first Red job, 64.25 Gbs in 28 minutes, but did some general assets archiving of smaller files and it took forever.
I use Cyberduck FTP software to catalogue my tapes, after I complete the archive, I open the tape in Cyberduck, expand all the folders to whatever level I want, calculate their size and then print out/save a pdf of the tapes contents.
Hope this helps a bit.
Good Luck
Big Hat
http://www.bighatpictures.com.au

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Sep 9, 2008 at 3:45:22 pm

Scott,

We integrated with the Quantum "A" series drives since inception with both Mac and Win videologger applications.

HDLog <http://www.imagineproducts.com/hdlog.htm> is the Mac app, TEP HD is the Win app, either is $699 for Gold version that uploads files to any of the LTO3A or SDLT600A or SuperLoader drives via FTP.

The advantage of applications like these is the ability to track the "assets". The loggers prompt you to input the Quantum tape ID which is saved in a local log file. You may then search the logs as an "offline" index to all your footage, complete with metadata, thumbs, tape IDs, and any other information you logged.

With HDLog you can also make proxy video clips and keep them with the logs. Upload the whole thing to an on-line database like Mac Digital Clip Library (~$3000) for web or LAN sharing, etc.

In other words, the process is scalable from a single computer to many.

Video logging is just the beginning...

Return to posts index

Scott Kramer
on Sep 10, 2008 at 8:37:32 pm

Thanks Matthew, Gary, and Dan for your replies. Very helpful and much appreciated. It sounds like everyone has similar speed issues.

Matthew - How are you inputing the data into your filemaker database? Are you using some type of cataloging software to generate the info?

Gary and Dan - I'll definitely check out Cyberduck and HDLog. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Sep 11, 2008 at 4:59:34 am

Hi Scott,
We are using the LTO 3a to back up entire projects, so the initial data entry is manual. We are taking screen shots of the file structure on the LTO and storing that as a Jpeg in a data field. Items that we want to come back to frequently will have individual data.
At this stage we are backing up the original P2 files and the QT generated by FCP. We are keeping the P2 files as a precaution and incase FCP is able to deal with them directly, we are shooting AVC Intra 100, so currently none of the MXF wrapping software is of help.
MXF4QT is interesting, but we have performed no testing at this stage.
Matthew.

Return to posts index

John McCain
on Oct 12, 2008 at 7:18:18 pm

Matt, I have had a tough time getting my LTO-3a to be recognized by my mac pro. Quantum tech was no help. Any tips on how you set yours up?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

dan montgomery
on Oct 13, 2008 at 2:06:50 pm

John,

Quantum is a large company and makes many products. The "A" series is one small segment for them. When dealing with their tech support, if you don't get the help you need ask for a supervisor.

Specific to your question, how to connect and configure a Quantum tape deck via Macintosh, we've detailed the steps in our HDLog users guide. Look in the 'Easy Setup' section. http://www.imagineproducts.com/manuals_and_literature.htm

You might also take a look at Mark Smith's white paper, available from that same page, which steps through P2 workflow and using a Quantum drive (in his case, SDLT 600A).

Video logging is just the beginning...

Return to posts index

John McCain
on Oct 13, 2008 at 3:01:05 pm

Thanks, White paper helped solve my problem. Grateful for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]