FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has anyone used a SD lens on the HPX 500.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron darby
Has anyone used a SD lens on the HPX 500.
on Sep 6, 2008 at 2:16:57 am

I have enough money to by the HPX 500 without the lens. I thought I would use the lens on my Sony 2/3 chip D30 (canon YJ18X9B4 KRS) and the Anton Bauer batteries for power.
This would be a temporary until I can buy the right lens.

95% of what I shoot ends up on beta sp and broadcast in SD.

If anyone has used a SD lens comparable to mine on a HPX 500 please tell what results you got.

I am hoping to be able to buy the HPX 500 instead of the EX3

Aloha
Ron Darby

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
Re: Has anyone used a SD lens on the HPX 500.
on Sep 6, 2008 at 6:06:43 am

A LOT of people are doing this. The expected (and received) result is that you have to just work around the limitations of an SD lens on you HD camera.

Chromatic Abberations are big one. (unwanted red and blue halos (color shifts) on the image that appear when using wider apertures in low light siuations.) This usually happens around the perimeter of the shot. SOLUTION: Use more light...and avoid the extremes of your aperture...F2 and F16.

Ghosting and vignetting that appears from using SD 4:3 lenses at certain zoom factors on the Hd camera. Inconsistent passage of light through different outer areas of the lens...especially if your lens was not designed for 16:9 shooting. Occasional perceptibile swings in brightness during zooming. (Only through certain ranges of the zoom at certain set focus distances.) SOLUTION: Treat your zoom more like a prime. Move the cameraa instead of zooming if possible. Breat a continuous shot into several different setups, etc.

A general lack of luster/clarity when compared directly footage shot on the same camera with GOOD HD glass. SOLUTION: None. "Dems' Da berries..." "That's life." ETC.

So again...yes, you can do it....a LOT of us are doing this exact same thing to save $$$. Go for it. Just expect a few significant limitations you will have to work around until you can afford the good glass.

Submitted from my iphone.

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

jeremey shelton
on Sep 6, 2008 at 4:49:24 pm

Excellent advice given above! I second everything mentioned. An SD lens was not preferable for myself either, but the majority of my clients do not provide the budget needed to justify the expense. For me rental will probably be the near future solution. I think you will find the work arounds will give you solid results (SD lenses will differ of course) until you can take that next step into HD glass. The HPX500 is a great cam, I think you will be pleased. I look forward to the day I can put the high end HD glass because it will almost be like getting a whole new cam!

--
Jeremey @ DI

Return to posts index

ron darby
on Sep 6, 2008 at 5:35:04 pm

Thanks

Looks like Ill buy the 500 and cannibalize my beta D30.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 7, 2008 at 7:19:29 am

SOmeone correct my if I'm wrong, I thought Sony and Panasonic had different mounts on them and the lenses are not interchangeable.

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Sep 7, 2008 at 1:15:25 pm

Panasonic and Sony use the same B4 lens mount.

J Cummings
DP/Chicago
http://www.cameralogic.tv

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 7, 2008 at 5:29:58 pm

that makes sense now that I think about it. It would be a nightmare for rental houses if that was the case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]