FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX NTSC to PAL Problem

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Reinicke
HVX NTSC to PAL Problem
on Sep 5, 2008 at 10:48:06 pm

Hi guys, I have a really big problem and I hope somebody can help me.

I am from Europe and will be soon in Canada for a 10 days visit. Now a friend of mine over there has a HVX200 (NTSC) and we wanted to shoot material for a Music Video, that I would edit back here in Europe.
Now since the footage will be recorded in NTSC and edited here in Europe (PAL), wont I have some big quality loss?? (OH NO!)

What is the best way to shoot to get the highest quality out of this?
What about 24p, 25p? I also dont have a clue abt what 50i and 60i means and where the difference is? Could somebody tell me what is the best way to shoot the footage there with the NTSC Cam and edit it here in Europe without loosing quality?

Really hope, someone can help me on this !

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: HVX NTSC to PAL Problem
on Sep 7, 2008 at 7:17:06 am

IF you have FCP6/Compressor 3 (Studio 2)

I would shot the camera on 720P @ 24PN (which will actually be 23.98) Then you can transcode your footage in compressor. ON the Frame Control Tab you set Frame Control ON and then at the bottom change the Set Duration to 23.98 to 25FPS in the drop down menu. You also start with a DVCProHD 720P PAL setting. This will give you the best conversion without sending money.

Return to posts index

Kevin Reinicke
on Sep 7, 2008 at 8:26:18 am

michael,

thank your for your answer ! how much quality loss will i have this way?

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Sep 7, 2008 at 10:07:34 pm

Why not have your friend shoot a couple of 10 second clips, maybe one with fast action and one with a pan and then email them to you. You could try Michael's recommendation and test the results yourself before committing a whole music video to this workflow.

"thou can not stir a flower without crumbling a star" ......Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]