FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow mo and the HPX 500 and FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Misha Manson-Smith
Slow mo and the HPX 500 and FCP
on Sep 4, 2008 at 11:42:20 am

Hello

I'm about to shoot a drama on the HPX 3000, but some sequences I want to over-crank, as it were, so I figured my best bet was to actually step down to the HPX 500, as, even though it'll mean working at 720P, that way I can keep it all on the P2 cards and not get into shooting with the Varicam, as I believe getting useable slowmo footage off the Varicam involves a very expensive conversion process.

My question is a) is this a good idea and b) will the 60P (or 50P) material I shoot on the 500 just turn itself into lovely slowmo footage in my 25P FCP sequence, or will I need to go through some hellish conversion process?

Cheers

Misha

http://www.mercenaryfilms.co.uk

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Slow mo and the HPX 500 and FCP
on Sep 4, 2008 at 10:06:08 pm

The slow motion option depends on the NLE you are using. FCP does the conversion internally...for free. And if you shoot on P2, you can even have the camera shoot slow motion internally, so when you import, it is already slow motion.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

jeremey shelton
on Sep 5, 2008 at 1:28:42 am

Shane, would you mind expanding on how to shoot the slow mo internally? I just received my HPX500 and have not done this yet. It sounds like it would be a wonderful "shortcut". Thanks in advance!

--
Jeremey @ DI

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 5, 2008 at 5:27:06 am

Well, in the HVX-200, you set the SCENE FILE>Frame Rate to 24Frame, then in the RECORDING SETUP>REC FORMAT you set to 720p60. Not sure if the 500 does that too.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 6, 2008 at 2:52:10 am

HPX-500
Recording Setup 720p60
Scene File/Operation Type Film Cam
adjust your Frame Rate

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Whitney Jean
on Nov 26, 2011 at 1:24:24 am

Is this also true with FCPX? I've been running into conversion issues with P2 content files. They are easy to import fromt he camera but not as mxf files.
Also, does shooting in slow motion (as opposed to doing it in post) create a better look? or larger files?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]