FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting in Europe - settings to compensate

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bear Media
Shooting in Europe - settings to compensate
on Sep 1, 2008 at 5:15:35 pm

I'm going to shoot in Spain, Germany, and France next week. I've never shot in Europe before, and had heard that I'll need to pay attention to my HVX settings to compensate for electrical cycles.

Have you ever shot in Europe, especially on a HVX? Any thoughts? Things I need to consider?

Many thanks,
Brad

PS. I'm shooting HD and will be mixing the footage with Super16 film. Is 720p 24pn good enough? How will 1080i60 look when converted?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Shooting in Europe - settings to compensate
on Sep 6, 2008 at 2:21:10 am

Get (rent) yourself flicker free lights with a ballast in the countries you are traveling to. You shouldn't have any problems. Yes, I have shot in 50Hz countries with the HVX.

If you don't have the resources, then you can simply get 50Hz bulbs for your current lights, which can be easy or very hard to get. What I like to do is buy the universal power strips over in the country you are currently in (it's a power strip that accepts almost any kind of outlet and if you buy it there, the end plug will be correct) and plug your domestic lights into those. (No adapters needed) You can put a lot more on a circuit as you have double the voltage of US power. It's a wonderful system. Any modern electronics you might bring should have a dual voltage power supply. Check before trying it. If the power supply says something like 100-240V you're good. If you have a couple of the universal power strips I mentioned, you won't need adapters there either. Best to get a little universal outlet adapter kit or two just to be sure.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Philip Merten
Re: Shooting in Europe - settings to compensate
on Sep 9, 2008 at 5:34:22 am

When shooting in flourescent light, set your shutter speed to 50 and that will help get rid of the flicker..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]