FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX500 matte work

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes Malkin
HPX500 matte work
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:10:40 am

Hi all, I'm shooting some green screen with the HPX500. It's not my first green screen job just the first with the 500... so I'm thinking I'd shoot 1080 to get the additional resolution but only if i can shoot true 1080p. That said, is it best to use the 1080/24PA mode and then remove the pulldown in AfterEffects? Or will 30p be a better choice? or none of the above & go 720p/24 ??? LOL BTW - Does this camera "uprez" to 1080..? if so perhaps i'd be better off shooting 720p? thanks for the help!

wes

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Re: HPX500 matte work
on Aug 29, 2008 at 12:59:55 pm

The camera uses analog chip pixel shifting technology to get to 1080 then it can down-rez to 720 if so desired.

I have been testing to see if I like and have more success with 1080/30p or 24p.. and I think the verdict is for 30p..

It seems that you have more motion blur at 24p (duh)... Like when the the hand is illustrating a point of conversation. It is the motion blur that is presenting a difficult time to make a pretty key. The green screen tends to live in the blur, which means that your key has to be wider to remove the green in the blur. It is most noticeable between the fingers, so if you use 24p have your actors wear mittens.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 29, 2008 at 2:42:46 pm

[Nate Stephens] "It is most noticeable between the fingers, so if you use 24p have your actors wear mittens."

What keying package do you use?

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:02:24 pm

I have been just using the standard FCP green screen keyer.. I know that it does not get rave reviews. I thought that if I could get it to make wonderful keys quickly, than I would know that my green screen stage is lighted correctly and it would be an efficient key stage to do interviews. It is a small stage 9 feet wide, 12 feet high and with about 22 feet of total depth. So I can get the actor about 5 to 10 feet away from the green... Green spill has been a problem that I have mitigated with back lighting.

I played with the Primatt Keyer in Motion and it pulled a really nice key. Fingers where very clean, but the edges were a little rough and the actor turned a little purple... I might be able to adjust all this with a better understanding of Motion and the Primatt Keyer...

I am targeting quick interviews for clients. Come in,turn on the lights, load your speech in the teleprompter, sit or stand, and tell the world what you want them to hear. Then we will Key your images behind you. Quick, clean and simple is my goal.

It just seems that the old days of analog video where you just twisted the dials gain, clip, hue, is still quicker and preferable to this digital workflow. If it wasn't all SD gear, I would turn it on..

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Wes Malkin
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:22:35 pm

Yeah i hear you ... these are the times i miss shooting 35mm, getting the colorist to work the green and pull a matte etc. For keyer we're probably using KeyLight or Primatte thru AfterEffects. i've not gotten as clean a key in the FCP (only use it for a rough) as in AE or even Motion with primatte i don't really use motion that much... more AE it's just what i'm used to. BTW - I like to keep talent at least 10 feet from the bkg & a little inverse color gel... try 1/4 -1/2 minus Green for green on the backlight really helps keep the spill off. I thought the HPX500 was a great choice for this project and it sounds like you're getting clean keys using 1080/30p with the 500...

wes

Return to posts index

Wes Malkin
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:05:27 pm

Yeah i get that blur thing!! LOL I've shot 24p with fine results before (on the HVX200 in fact) there wont be much motion in this although better safe so it sounds like 30p is the way to go. i've also heard that the cine gamma setting is an issue...any thoughs on that?

thx for the feedback...

wes

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Sep 3, 2008 at 9:10:33 pm

We shoot all our green screen on our 200 at 720 60P. Pulls beautifuly easy great looking keys, and we can treat it in post for a softer look after the keying is done.

My .02

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]