FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow with the panasonic HVX-200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Osborne
Workflow with the panasonic HVX-200
on Aug 28, 2008 at 7:01:32 pm

I have a Panasonic HVX and if filmed some stuff with a P2 card. I ran into problems trying to get the footage into FCP via a Macbook Pro. I was told that I needed an additional adapter to log and transfer the P2 footage. If this is true, what is the adapter?

Rick

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
Re: Workflow with the panasonic HVX-200
on Aug 28, 2008 at 8:21:15 pm

There are plenty of panasonic P2 readers. I honestly don't think they are necessary. Your MacbbokPro should completely be able to read the card. If you have no other option try to rent the reader. Here is a link:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelList?storeId=1...

"In Search of a Midnight Kiss" now in theaters!

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Finisher / Consultant
Off: 310.826.9199
AIM: stuart.colorist
http://www.timecodemultimedia.com

"HD, 2K & RED Post Production for Indies at Affordable Rates"

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Aug 28, 2008 at 9:31:01 pm

The MacBook Pro has an Express 34 port and will NOT read P2 card without an adapter. The most cost effective alternative is the Duel Systems adapter.

http://www.duel-systemsadapters.com/?productid=DP-0001

You will then want to copy the files to a Raid 1 system as your camera master before bringing them in to FCP.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 29, 2008 at 2:07:10 am

The MBP will read the P2 card via the camera. So this is a workflow question and not a what must I have.

The Duel Adapter works well and it gives you 2 major benefits. 1) you can be using the camera while you are downloading another card to your computer. 2) It transfers at least 2x as fast as when using the camera.

The adapter is very reasonably priced at $120. I had one go back but the company did an advanced replacement which was great.

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:36:26 am

Michael is right that you can use the camera to offload the cards. I have never viewed this as a viable alternative on location since most of the time we can't shut down the camera while offloading cards. $120 is a cheap price to pay to continue shooting. If you have enough cards you can shoot all day and then download with the camera at night but I prefer getting the data backed up ASAP.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 29, 2008 at 5:24:14 am

I would definitely recommend not using the camera also, just people should know it is an option. Also with the adapter you can work all day with any 2 cards since it copies fast than it records so while you are copying one card you can be recording to the second. Of course it is harder if you are recording now stop action like a long concert.

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Sep 4, 2008 at 10:14:09 pm

So the camera transfers faster than the reader? How long does it take to dump a 16 GB card via the HVX200 vs the Duel Systems adapter?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 4, 2008 at 10:22:04 pm

NO the reader is a lot faster than the camera. Normally the is a little longer than 1 GB/min and the reader is a little faster than 2GB/min.

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Sep 5, 2008 at 1:48:00 am

Thanks for clarifying that Michael!

Bummer it is that slow with the camera. I am assuming that it is the limitations of the transfer method. At least it's not the other way around.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]