FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting and Importing very long clips, Spanned/Incomplete

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott allman
Shooting and Importing very long clips, Spanned/Incomplete
on Aug 28, 2008 at 11:28:39 am

I just finished a shoot of a long lecture/demonstration and most of the clips were in the 40 minute range.
Problem #1 -
Virtually all of them are either spanned or incomplete. I cannot get any of them to import.
I installed the "Calibrated" software and can drag the MXF files directly to the timeline but I'm not getting the entire clip. When I view the entire clip in the log and transfer window, I can see and drag through the whole thing. I am using FCP 6.02 and I don't think I have FX Factory, at least I don't recall installing it.
Please help! Suggestions?

Problem #2 -
Also, I will be doing a similar shoot next week and I don't want to go through this again. This client could develop into a regular client. So, how do I prevent this from happening again. I have been shooting with an HVX for over a year and this has never happened before, but I haven't shot single clips this long before.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Shooting and Importing very long clips, Spanned/Incomplete
on Aug 28, 2008 at 2:14:58 pm

What kind of scratch drive do you have and how is it formatted?

How many cards did you shoot on? What format?

Return to posts index

scott allman
on Aug 28, 2008 at 7:41:42 pm

Jeremy,
I am using a Weibetech ToughTech XE FW800 1000GB.
I shot on one 32GB card and one 16GB card
I am shooting DVCpro HD 24PN

The drive works fine with other projects

Here's the deal. When I look at one of the folders, from the Problem project, in the log and transfer window it shows three clips.
The first is 2 seconds long, the second is 47:55 long (spanned) and the third is 24:56 (Spanned).
When I look at the same folder on the scratch drive it shows 8 clips, 5 of them are 3.98 GB. If I drag one of the 3.98 GB MXF clips to the timeline (Thanks to Calibrated) it is only 29 seconds and 22 frames long. I can drag on the entire 47:55 clip in the log and Transfer window and see the whole thing.

I opened a folder from an entirely different project and dragged one of it's clips into the same timeline.
The clips was just under 1GB and that clip was almost 3 minutes long.

Any ideas?
My headache is returning.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 28, 2008 at 7:59:19 pm

Is your Weibetech drive OSX formatted or Fat32 or other?

Return to posts index

scott allman
on Aug 28, 2008 at 8:14:38 pm

It should be OSX. How can I verify that?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 28, 2008 at 8:23:39 pm

Open your disk utility in the APplications > Utilities folder.

Click on the drive name itself, then check out what it says under "Format" at the bottom of the window.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

scott allman
on Aug 28, 2008 at 9:56:18 pm

Well, well,

It is Fat 32. OK, so now what.
Every other project on the drive has been fine.
Should I transfer everything to another drive and reformat?

Scott

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 28, 2008 at 10:08:26 pm

Yep, that's what I figured.

Fat32 has a finite file size amount (I think it's 4 gigs) and your mac doesn't write to that format, which is why you are seeing the problem. Since the file is over 4GB, it doesn't know what to do with it. What you need to do is take all of the information off of that disk and reformat it to OSX Extended journaled, then recopy the footage back on. You should then be able to transfer files larger than 4Gigs.

Make sense?

Return to posts index

scott allman
on Aug 29, 2008 at 12:56:59 pm

First, Jeremy, thanks for everything so far.

I will purchase another harddrive today and start transferring files ASAP.
I needed a back-up anyway. Hopefully that will help.

But here's another question. When I shoot in the field I generally take a 250GB Weibetech to empty cards onto. Then copy those folders to the larger harddrive when I get home. I use an older G4 with the slot that the cards fit into to transfer. Such was the case with this particular shoot. And I checked the 250GB Weibetech and it is formatted OSX and the folders from the cards are identical to the folders on the larger FAT32 drive that is attached to my editing system.

Again, this is how I done every shoot for the last year and never had this problem, but I've never shot clips that were 40+ minutes long. Is there and issue with shooting long clips that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Scott

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 29, 2008 at 2:13:00 pm

[scott allman] "Is there and issue with shooting long clips that I'm not aware of? "

No. You have been getting lucky as all of your clips up until this point have been under 4gigs would be my guess.

Format to OSX and your problems will go away.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

scott allman
on Aug 29, 2008 at 2:44:30 pm

OK,
I ordered a new 2TB harddrive. And will start emptying the the Weibetech as soon as it arrives.

But the thing is, when I empitied the cards at the shoot, I emptied them to the 250GB drive first and the contents from card #2 should be 3 clips, clip #1- 2 seconds long, clip #2 - 40+ minutes long and clip #3 - 20+ minutes long.
When I look at the contents of card #2 on the 250GB drive it is actually showing 8 clips all less than 4GB. But this BEFORE they are copied to the FAT32 drive. But then when I view them in the log and transfer window they show up correctly as 3 clips.

This confuses me.

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Sep 2, 2008 at 5:12:51 am

The P2 cards are actually made of of separate 4GB drive connected by a mini raid controller in the card. The 16 GB is 4 drives and the 32 GB is 8. They will show up as separate clips that span across different drives until they are all loaded in to the log and transfer window in FCP at which point they are reconnected. Hope that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Noe Sardet
on Apr 6, 2009 at 3:58:29 pm

Hello,
I have had similar problems importing MXF files into FCP with Calibrated(MXF). But in my case I don't have long clips. They are all under 4Go. When I import them, the files are truncated, incomplete.
My hard drive is Fat32. By transferring the files to another disk, which is formated Mac OS Extended should it solve the problem?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 6, 2009 at 4:32:58 pm

I don't know. It sounds like you should contact Calibrated about it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]