FORUMS: list search recent posts

shutter speed clues

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maryan Tooker
shutter speed clues
on Aug 20, 2008 at 4:00:10 pm

Using HPX2000p
Let's say I'm shooting in 1080/30p, no high speed action, ...what are clues that would tell me that the shutter speed might be wrong? Would these clues apply across the board or is it different in certain modes?

What is a good rule of thumb to set the shutter speed anyway..I've read it is to double the frame rate..

thanks much

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: shutter speed clues
on Aug 21, 2008 at 3:41:52 pm

If you're shooting at 30p then set the shutter at 1/60. I'm not sure with that camera, but it might have a default setting of that anyway, if you choose the 30p setting. If you shoot 24p then set it at 1/48. These settings are if you are trying to get a true film look.

The higher the shutter speed the more light you will need. Also, the high you set the shutter speed the more "frozen" any movement will seem. Sports progamming uses high shutter speeds which gives almost a strobe effect during motion. It's the same effect you see in "Saving Private Ryan". I only notice the effect when going 1/250 or higher, though.

Return to posts index

Bobby Holbrook II
Re: shutter speed clues
on Aug 21, 2008 at 4:47:27 pm

When shooting @ 30p set the shutter to HALF and it will convert to 1/60 s.s. for you. Same thing for 24fps.

Chief Editor/Cinematographer
P2 University Grad.
Holbrook Multi-Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]