FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX500: Capture Options

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremey Shelton
HPX500: Capture Options
on Aug 19, 2008 at 4:51:25 pm

Good morning all! I thought I would post a quick question that I sure that someone here either knows or has tried. Is there or would there be any benefit of capturing live HPX500 footage via a Blackmagic Intensity Card versus the DVCPROHD codec? I appreciate any info or thoughts. Thanks!

--
Jeremey @ DI

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: HPX500: Capture Options
on Aug 19, 2008 at 5:34:22 pm

Absolutely no advantage. Keep the P2 media in its native format.

Intensity card doesn't even have SDI in/out.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 19, 2008 at 6:16:17 pm

How would you physically accomplish this? There's no HDMI out of the 500.

Considering if you had the proper card with proper connections, yes, you can capture out of the 500 for better results. I personally use the AJA ioHD with all variants of cameras and it comes in very handy for green screen shoots.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

jeremey shelton
on Aug 19, 2008 at 7:03:21 pm

I was under the impression (mistaken apparently) that the Intensity had component HD in that could be used with the HPX500.

My goal was exactly that, for green screen shoots in particular. I didn't know if capturing by that or a similar method would increase the color info, bits, or just bypassing the minimal DVCPROHD compression you could "squeeze" even more out of the cam. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 19, 2008 at 7:19:40 pm

Not sure about the intensity (I thought it was HDMI only) but even if it did have analog component, the 500 does not have analog out. You need an SDi capable video card.

Yes, you can squeeze a bit more out of the camera by avoiding 8 bit DVCPro HD compression and record 10 bit Uncompressed or ProRes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Aug 20, 2008 at 6:56:19 am

HPX-500 does have analog component HD out - it's a D-terminal to triple RCA cable that comes with the camera. (I still hope to find a solution that doesn't require RCA -> BNC adapters.)

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:53:08 pm

[Adam Smith] "HPX-500 does have analog component HD out "

Hmm, didn't see that when I used it. In that case, if in fact the camera has analog out and the intensity has analog HD in, you could do it. I would suggest getting a card with SDI as that way you can capture @ the intended frame rate instead of the full baseband (50 or 60Hz, whatever you're shooting) and can capture timecode so that if you live capture fails or screws up, you always have your p2 backups to match back to.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alex D'Eath
on Aug 27, 2008 at 4:52:56 pm

I ordered a custom cable from mike at dale pro audio in new york. It is 25' long and has RCA females on one end and BNC connections on the other end. It set us back about $75.00 and took a couple of weeks for their vendor to get the cable built. We use it to hook up our HVX 200 to our Panasonic 1700 HD field monitor. I tried to have one built using the d-type connector on one end and BNC on the other end so I only had one cable but, that was more than they could deliver.

Alex D'Eath
Operations Manager
Space City Films, Inc
Above & Beyond.....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]