FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting Greenscreen with HVX200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brandan dennehy
Shooting Greenscreen with HVX200
on Aug 16, 2008 at 10:37:49 pm

I am shooting a music video next month and I will be using an HVX for the first time. We are using a 35mm adapter and Nikon lenses. I am well aware of lighting and subject placement when shooting on a green screen. What I am not to aware of are the settings in the HVX. I was leaning towards shooting 30p 720 but I don't have any experience setting up this camera. I want the best set up for keying out later. I am also unfamiliar with the HVX's compression and just how much that will affect the image quality. I want to capture at DVC-ProHD quality. Is there any distinct advantage to shooting 1080p over 720p?

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Shooting Greenscreen with HVX200
on Aug 17, 2008 at 8:17:00 pm

I certainely don't see any advantage in using a lens adapter in chroma key. Yes you certainely could put the screen a bit more out of focus, but the adapter will only soften the image further, and you want as much resolution as you can get for post processing.

720 30p is about it for us on HVX on chroma key. Some have argued about the benefits of 1080 over 720. I tried both and I can't see much of a difference. In fact the pixel shifting may hurt you on the edges in the end (that one's not coming from me).

If you keep the bleed at a minimum, and I would recommend at least 15 feet between the screen and subject on a 10x10, you should be fine.

Vince

Return to posts index

Kevin Randall
on Aug 18, 2008 at 6:13:17 pm

Vince Becquiot said:

"Some have argued about the benefits of 1080 over 720. I tried both and I can't see much of a difference. In fact the pixel shifting may hurt you on the edges in the end (that one's not coming from me)."

While I have not done chromakeying myself, it has been reported on DVXUSER site that 1080 works best. And this only makes sense, since when recording in 720, the original 1920 x 1080 image is downsampled to 960 x 720. When recording in 1080, the image is downsampled only in the horizontal (from the original 1920 x 1080 to 1280 x 1080).

Return to posts index

Gerrod Clarke
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:27:26 pm

but when you de-interlace will it still be 1280x1080

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]