FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing p2 to FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Tate
Importing p2 to FCP
on Aug 15, 2008 at 3:08:11 am

So let me get this straight. To get P2 footage into FCP, you have to basically import it twice??? Once to transfer footage from P2 card to hard drive, and a second time to import it to FCP? That seems like bullsh*t to me. Doesn't that take twice the space (and twice the time)?

Why can't FCP just use the footage right off the hard drive, the way it would any other media?
-Rob

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
Re: Importing p2 to FCP
on Aug 15, 2008 at 5:38:25 am

You are not required to save the MXF files to hard drive. You can import directly off the cards. It is only suggested that you also save the original MXF files as these are your camera originals - proceed with caution.

And no, there is no way to play directly from the cards unless you use Raylight for Mac. I have not personally used this product: http://dvfilm.com/raylight/mac/index.htm

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 15, 2008 at 1:06:58 pm

Also either of these two products enables direct MXF access in FCP:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/calibratedqmxfimport.html

http://www.callboxlive.com/resources/?p=109

The transfer from MXF to .MOV take very little time and you only have to do it once. In all honesty it's really a tiny portion of the overall workflow... sorry if that still sounds like BS to you but there are alternatives in both NLEs and workflows if you are too put off by it. :)

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Robert Tate
on Aug 15, 2008 at 2:00:53 pm

Thank you for the response.
I will try Calibrated{Q} MXF Import 1.1.

It's not the time so much that bothers me; it's the fact that for every Gig of footage you get on a P2 card, you need 2G of space (3, if you're smart enough to make a backup). In High Def, that's a lot of space! I'm only doing a short doc piece right now. How on earth does someone do a long-format piece with this? Do they have to daisy chain 20 or 30 drives together? Seems excessive.

I was under the (erroneous) impression that a 16Gig P2 card requires 16Gigs of space, when it really requires 32.

That's all. That's my beef. Again, I'm not familiar with Calibrated{Q} MXF Import 1.1, but it seems as if that bypasses the ingest stage. I may be wrong.
-Rob

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Aug 15, 2008 at 3:58:51 pm

Robert,

It is your choice how much space you want it to take on a hard drive. If you have 16GB filled on P2 cards, then ingest that into FCP, it only occupies 16GB. You can simply stop right there, or if you want to take the extra step and backup the MXF files, you can copy the P2 cards.

Again, it's a choice not a requirement.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Aug 15, 2008 at 11:34:03 pm

In the old days (two years ago), you'd have to store the tape on a shelf and the "data" on a hard drive--still two places. If you compare price, P2 archiving is cheaper.

I've been shooting the ag-hvx200 since July 2006. I used to just import the QT data and not store the MXF, but when Apple changed their final termination code none of my QT worked. Fortunately P2 Log Pro saved the day (again). But man! I wish I had saved my MXF. I do now, of course. And I dream of a day when I can edit in FCP with native MXF. It's a pipe dream.

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Aug 16, 2008 at 5:16:15 am

Richard is right. It is cheaper than tape even if you save to a raid 1 and then use another drive for your media. You just have to get used to considering the hard drives as expendable expenses.

Return to posts index

Robert Tate
on Aug 16, 2008 at 2:00:20 pm

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.
How do you think this technology would work for a long-form documentary? This would mean a couple of hundred hours of raw footage to be cut down to 90 minutes. With no real ability to load in off-line (low res) and then up-res once edit is complete, it seems like this is beyond the ability of this technology. With a tape, loading in low res is not a problem. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

I'm trying to figure out just how the long-form can be done without having to daisy chain an inordinate number of hard drives together. Or perhaps I'm not seeing the bigger picture clearly?

Thanks again,
Rob

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Aug 16, 2008 at 3:08:21 pm

I did a series of 1 - 60 minute pilot and 12 - 30 minute episodes. We had a total of about 18 500 GB drives of the P2 Masters - 36 drives if you count the fact that we used a raid 1 for a redundant backup. BTW, still cheaper than tape. We used a 3 TB raid 5 to import all the media that would transcend all the episodes. We also fill the Mac Pro to the hilt with 750 GB drives for additional space. We then purchased a 750 eSata for each episode for the media specific to that episode. I believe we could load 4 of those at once. It worked quite well. Consider that our finished time was 7 hours. I think you would be safe getting a large raid to put all the imported media on. The other thing you could do is get a JBOD system. You don't have the raid protection but it would give you lots of space. There will be some initial startup cost for the raid system but after that it is just hard drives. Consider what it used to cost to edit a show and it is still far cheaper and every bit as effective.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 16, 2008 at 4:45:43 pm

I have worked on 4 long form documentaries (2 hour History Channel specials) using the HVX and Varicam...captured full resolution...no offline online. Drive raids are cheap. And I backed up the P2 footage on raw SATA drives, imported onto my media drives. Gotta think of the first back up as your tape masters.

Here, I wrote an article on my first documentary.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/P2.php

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Tate
on Aug 16, 2008 at 6:27:30 pm

Thank you guys very much. You've all been really helpful.
Best,
Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]