FORUMS: list search recent posts

Battery Life on Mt. Kilimanjaro

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Fisher
Battery Life on Mt. Kilimanjaro
on Aug 12, 2008 at 2:16:50 am

I'm shooting a trek up Mt. Kilimanjaro in the first part of September.

My number one question is about battery life. We'll be on the side of the mountain for 7 days, with no power sources for recharging the batteries (the shoot is way low-budget, so I'm thinking solar power is not an option, unless someone has a great option I don't know about.)

So, battery life. Temperatures at night drop around freezing. At the 19k' summit, it will be potentially be sub-zero temperatures.

Any advice on how long I might expect a battery to last in this setting would be great. I'm unfamiliar with shooting in the cold/without chargers available all day long.

Thanks!
Graham

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Battery Life on Mt. Kilimanjaro
on Aug 13, 2008 at 12:47:56 am

Whew.... I guess only thing harder would be shooting underwater....

Would need to know more about WHAT kind of battery you are using..

but solar is needed

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/
http://www.ascscientific.com/solar.html

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Graham Fisher
on Aug 13, 2008 at 2:20:36 am

It looks like I'll be going up the mountain with a Sony Z1U HDV camera package.

I just talked to a rental house about being able to take something like 6 batteries, but that would probably still be under what I'd need to make it all the way up, and back down. Like I said, the trek is 7 days.

This question probably has an obvious answer, but I'm in the dark on it... Let's say I went through two large batteries a day... would the Voltaic "Converter" backpack would be capable of charging those in the evening?

http://www.espow.com/camcorder-battery/sony-hvr-z1u.php

Nice backpacks. I'm new to this trekking thing, so I'm trying to think of how this could be added to the mix. We'll all already be carrying medium sized packs with our misc. trekking stuff... there are porters carrying stuff ahead of us as well.

Thank you!!
Graham

Return to posts index

Gert Brouwer
on Jan 4, 2010 at 1:17:54 pm

Hi,

I will clime Kilimanjaro myself in Januari. Is there any more news on this? I'll probably take a small panasonic with some extra batteries which I will cary as close to my body as needed to keep warm and dry.

Futhermore I am considering a old, no battery operated, analog camera just in case I get to the top and all batteries are dead. Maybe a couple of films if the batteries die earlier then expected.

Kind regards,
Gert

Designer illusions - Let us make your illusions reality, or at least make them appear to be reality!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]