FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX 500 does not show over FireWire

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
HPX 500 does not show over FireWire
on Aug 11, 2008 at 9:22:29 am

When I connect to my Mac mini using USB, the P2 cards shows up fine.

On my old G4 the USB is not 2.0 and thus USB does not work. So, I switched the HPX500 to 1394DEVICE and connected it. No luck. Access LED just blinking.

Did the same on my mac mini. No luck there either. Just "1394 disconnect" on the camera (which is correct) but no P2 cards on the desktop.

Switched to USB, the cards shows up (so the P2 driver is obviously correctly installed).

Where do I start looking for the gremlins...?

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
Re: HPX 500 does not show over FireWire
on Aug 11, 2008 at 1:05:36 pm

Forgot to mention that my mac mini and my iBook G4 both runs Leopard. The G4 in question runs Tiger. Is that the issue...?

Installed extra USB ports on the G4. They work fine.
The camera says "USB DISCONNECT" so obviously something is not working together with the G4.

Funny enough it works on the iBook G4 over USB.... but that's not the main editing computer. Gah!

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Aug 11, 2008 at 4:24:17 pm

If you get "1394 Disconnect" try disconnecting and reconnecting the firewire cable. And if it seems to connect but the cards don't mount, give it another minute or so, then check Disk Utility and mount them manually.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Aug 11, 2008 at 8:48:59 pm

Should I disconnect and connect the cable while the camera is still in 1394Device mode?

I did try the Disk Utility, but perhaps I did not wait long enough. There were no P2 disk in Disk Utility.

Will give it another try tomorrow.

The sad thing is that neither USB or 1394 works on our main editing computer, which is quite cumbersome having to offload the clips using the laptop or my desktop Mac mini.

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Aug 12, 2008 at 5:02:51 am

[Niklas Wikman] "Should I disconnect and connect the cable while the camera is still in 1394Device mode?"

That's what I do. If I power up the camera and it still says "disconnect" and nothing shows on the desktop or disk utility, then I figure it's truly not connected and ok to unplug. Unplugging and replugging the firewire cable works for me, as the camera will then recognize the connection and all is well.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Aug 12, 2008 at 6:56:25 am

OK, finally got it to work (somewhat) on the editing Mac, using FireWire. Only two of the four cards show, but I was able to mount them using Disk Utility.

Oh well, now it seems to work. Too bad I did go and buy that USB card...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]