FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2, MacBookPro and Final Cut Studio 2

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hunter
P2, MacBookPro and Final Cut Studio 2
on Aug 7, 2008 at 6:29:35 pm

I have a brand new MacBookPro 17" with 2.6GHz Intel Core processor, 4 GB of Ram, a 7200 rpm 200 GB ATA hard drive, the Hi-Resolution wide screen graphics installation, and an external 1 terabyte hard drive with external power and the Firewire 800 connector.

In another month I want to shoot a feature film using the HVX 200A Panasonic camera in HD Pal. I am looking at adding the DuelAdaptor advertised as "Connects PCMCIA cards to ExpressCard-enabled notebook and desktop computers" so that I can input the P2 cards directly to the MacBookPro in the field.

I have already used the Panasonic HVX 200A (the designation here in the European market in Germany and Austria) and am editing in Final Cut Pro from those P2 files without any problems on a souped-up IMac.

My question is to this forum: What are the technical limits of the new MacBookPro system I have so far? Granted it is not the multi-processor desktop MacPro.

What can I NOT do as far as shooting an HD project and expecting to edit it at higest rendering quality for a project that will ultimately be transferred to film besides DVD widescreen format?

Optimum Final Cut Transfer and Render settings that will stay within the limitations of this system?

Any suggestions on workflow would be appreciated, too.

Any absolutely necessary peripherals I should add? Other than a second cinema display type of monitor?

Thank you for taking the time to pass along your personal experiences and recommendations!

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Re: P2, MacBookPro and Final Cut Studio 2
on Aug 7, 2008 at 7:01:46 pm

David,

Start about a year ago, and start reading the posts in this forum,,, for all the details,,

But the quick answer is "not a, nothing, you will have no problems at all... just keep it simple..
I would also get a Dual sata express card and esata Hard drives x 2 or more,, then you can have a mirrored raid for proper back up and some speed... You don't want to loose footage. I also like to plug in a keyboard and another 24" monitor.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
Re: P2, MacBookPro and Final Cut Studio 2
on Aug 8, 2008 at 3:29:58 pm

[Nate Stephens] "I would also get a Dual sata express card and esata Hard drives x 2 or more,, then you can have a mirrored raid for proper back up and some speed"

This is all great advice considering the size of project you are doing.

"thou can not stir a flower without crumbling a star" ......Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]