FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firestore Footage Plays in Cam, but not on Computer

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Gladney
Firestore Footage Plays in Cam, but not on Computer
on Aug 6, 2008 at 6:16:17 pm

Hi,

I shot some footage a couple of weeks back on my HVX using the FS100. I usually shoot to quicktime 720 PN (not P2 PN) and I've never had any issues (before now). I checked all of the footage by playing it through the Firestore back into my camera, and some of the clips played fine, while some had issues (best described as a staticly-like playback). So the ones that had the "issues" I went ahead and re-shot.

Now, here is where it gets strange. A couple of the clips that played back fine through the camera are showing up as problem files on my computer (quicktime cannot recognize or play them) and a few of the clips that were "problem" clips are just fine and work in quicktime and fcp. Now the kicker is, the same couple of clips that quicktime won't recognize on my computer, STILL play back through my camera when I hook the firestore back up to it.

I cannot figure it out. Has anyone else incurred a problem like this? I've tried the "fix damaged clip" option on my firestore, but to no avail. Still won't play on my computer, but plays back (audio and all) just fine through my cam. Any assistance with this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steven Gladney

Sometimes the obvious is hidden in plain view.

Return to posts index

Mark Steinberg
Re: Firestore Footage Plays in Cam, but not on Computer
on Oct 17, 2008 at 12:36:10 pm

Did you every find a resolution to this problem?

I am having the same issue and have had it before. This time I can't do without the footage.

TIA

Mark

Return to posts index

Steven Gladney
on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:37:26 pm

Hi Mark,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Unfortunately, no, I was never able to resolve the issue with the footage. Ended up clearing and formatting the HD and haven't had any problems since. I just make sure I check as I'm shooting now just to be sure. Wish I could offer some additional advice. I did keep the files that were not playing on my computer, though, to maybe play with again later. Good luck.

Steven Gladney

Return to posts index

Mark Steinberg
on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:47:01 pm

Well, I found a neat trick. If you hook your mac up to the DV I/O port on the firestore it will act as a camera/deck. You can then capture normally from final cut as if you were hooked to the camera directly. Simply hit play on the firestore.

This worked great for me.

Mark

Return to posts index

Steven Gladney
on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:50:03 pm

BRILLIANT!!! Awesome idea! Thanks so much for sharing that, Mark!

Steven Gladney

Return to posts index

stacey lumley
on Feb 9, 2009 at 8:10:09 pm

Mark,

I need to do what you describe here. I recorded some 720 24PN footage on my firestore in P2 mode. The clips were long and says they are spanned in my transfer window in FCP. They will not transfer. FCP gives an unknown error. I speculate it's a P2 thing. Focus Enhancements told me to record the footage back to a p2 card on the HVX 100. I started to do that but it will take way too long since I need the P2 cards for other shoots.

How did you hook up the firestore to capture live with FCP. I can't seem to figure out the combination. What's the settings?
Thanks,
Stacey

Return to posts index

stacey lumley
on Feb 9, 2009 at 8:09:10 pm

Mark,

I need to do what you describe here. I recorded some 720 24PN footage on my firestore in P2 mode. The clips were long and says they are spanned in my transfer window in FCP. They will not transfer. FCP gives an unknown error. I speculate it's a P2 thing. Focus Enhancements told me to record the footage back to a p2 card on the HVX 100. I started to do that but it will take way too long since I need the P2 cards for other shoots.

How did you hook up the firestore to capture live with FCP. I can't seem to figure out the combination. What's the settings?
Thanks,
Stacey

Return to posts index

Mark Steinberg
on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:21:50 pm

Well, just do what I described earlier. Hook the firestore to your computer using the DV I/O port. NOT the computer port you normally use. Set it to play back the video clip as you would if you were going to view it on the camera. Set FCP to capture the video as it is played.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

stacey lumley
on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:26:04 pm

Thanks, I got it all figured out yesterday doing what you said here but unfortunately the video files are still corrupt.

Return to posts index

Jamin Conn
on Apr 21, 2010 at 3:27:57 am

hmm, i'm having the same problem on my hpx170 and the fs100. problem is that the entire project is all on that hdd :( i'm imaged it as well. hope to find some solution some how.
initially, the FS100 wasn't initializing on the computer. the computer connection was "failed". since then, I've encountered this other issue with the clips.

-Jamin
EnvisoonedStudios.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]