FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with HD Log and P2 content into FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Working with HD Log and P2 content into FCP
on Aug 5, 2008 at 12:17:54 pm

I was recommended to buy the HD Log to offload the clips. Just offloading (with file verification) and then use Log and Transfer in FCP seems a but tedious - if nothing else, I end up importing the clips twice...

Reading the manual raises even more questions, so I'm wondering: do you guys have a small step-by-step on how to offload/import into FCP?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Working with HD Log and P2 content into FCP
on Aug 5, 2008 at 12:23:34 pm

Checkout Raylight. It allows you to work directly with MXF files in FCP.

http://dvfilm.com/raylight/mac/index.htm

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.4, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w 192 Digital, SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 5, 2008 at 5:41:19 pm

You aren't importing twice. You use HD Log to offload the card onto a hard drive...the original MXF files and original file structure. This hard drive is now your SOURCE TAPE if you will. That should be the backup drive. Then you use FCP to convert the footage into Quicktime (with zero quality loss), and here you can name and organize your footage.

I have a workflow right here: P2 Workflow with FCP 6 It doesn't have HD log in the mix, I use the FINDER to drag the files over here. But I prefer HD log and the Verify option.

If you use Raylight you should still have the MXF files backed up on a hard drive, and then also on your media drive. And with Raylight you can see all the meta data...FCP ignores all but time code and reel number. Either way, you have the footage twice...as you should. And FCPs log and transfer is as fast as copying the footage to a drive manually. So now it is all about the metadata.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Aug 5, 2008 at 7:59:44 pm

Bright, clear and concise, as always :-). Thanks, Shane. I'll go for the offload in HD Log (good thing I can do it onto three drives at the same time) and then on my Scratch disk (and not the backup disk!) I use Log and Transfer then.

(but it nags me a little to pay 200USD for a verify function...)

But isn't Log and Transfer duplicating the clips? Or are they just converted to QuickTime? Sure disk space is cheap now, but it seems foolish to have the footage as both MXF AND QT...

There's an option to create FCP XML in HD Log, but to be honest, I can't get it to work. Have just given it a quick try - and the manual is 143 pages...(!)

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Aug 5, 2008 at 10:20:03 pm

If all you need is Verify, you could use P2CMS (free from Panasonic) to pull footage from the cards and catalog it, as well as modify metadata, make selects and backup or duplicate with verify. P2CMS also installs DVCPRO-HD drivers so you can view MXF files directly in quicktime player, and even import them directly into FCP, assuming you don't mind re-syncing all audio tracks.

Log and Transfer does indeed wind up duplicating your media as it re-wraps the content as quicktime movies. It is possible to make mistakes as you Transfer... things like having Remove Duplicate Frames set incorrectly can really screw up your imported footage.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Aug 7, 2008 at 2:51:37 pm

Yes, and FCP's users manual is much much longer . Just skip to the "Easy Setups" section for working with P2. It's only a couple pages long and tells you step by step how to bring it in and put it into FCP. You can convert within HDLog, rename the MOVs, or just pass reference QT pointers to FCP. Many choices. Find the workflow that you're comfortable with.

Video logging is just the beginning...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]