FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using FireWire to offload P2 clips

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Using FireWire to offload P2 clips
on Aug 5, 2008 at 12:01:41 pm

My old G4 mirrored doors seems to lack USB 2.0 support, hence hooking up the HPX500 does not work.

I only have FW800 ports on then G4, and the HPX500 has a FW400 connector. Can I use a 9to6 FireWire cable to offload the clips to the G4?

(Not sure why, but the manual seems to state that USB is the way to go for offloading the clips, and FireWire to control a disk from the camera).

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Using FireWire to offload P2 clips
on Aug 5, 2008 at 12:11:41 pm

We use a Duel Adaptor to off-load P2s to a hard drive connected to a MBP. Maybe there's a pcmcia to usb adaptor. Or get a USB card to install in the G4 so you can connect the 500 to it.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.4, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w 192 Digital, SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Aug 5, 2008 at 12:19:26 pm

Forgot to be more specific. The G4 is not an iBook G4, but a G4 with mirrorred doors, a desktop (or rather floortop...) computer.

Not sure what USB-card to buy, I guess there's not standard PCI slot in the machine?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 5, 2008 at 1:32:12 pm

Your Mirrored Door G4 should have FW 400 ports. Yes, you can use a FW800 (9 pin) to FW400 (6 pin) cable.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Aug 5, 2008 at 8:02:11 pm

OK, I'll go for the IEE1394device in camera setup, then.

Thank you, all!

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Aug 6, 2008 at 12:27:43 am

Hello Niklas,
I have a Dual 1.25 Mirror door, This was my solution-
http://www.olinevideo.com.au/page9.htm
there's a thread attached you may be interested in..
I also use a Early 2008 Macpro 3ghz as my main edit platform, my preferred method to offload From my SPX800 camera is by USB, it's about 4x's realtime. that being said, I have a colleague who uses Firewire to offload with his HPX502 and he's happy with that.
Everyone uses what works best for them, use that as your guide.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Aug 6, 2008 at 6:09:03 am

Have you done any tests to see if USB is faster than FireWire?

(I guess it is, since USB2 is as fast as FW800 - and the HPX500 only has FW400...)

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Aug 6, 2008 at 6:34:57 am

Hi Niklas,

No, I have not. mainly because on my camera I have to Change output setting in the set-up menu, I prefer to leave well alone when things are working OK. My camera's rear output is set to the SDI card, that's because I do lots of NEWS feeds from it.
I use the USB2 from camera (side port) to front USB input of Macpro (OS10.5.4 & FCP 6.0.4) and Log and transfer direct to FCP. as I said at about 4Times realtime. ages ago I tried opening the P2 card and copy/paste the contents files into a raided HDD set, but I found that was much slower than Log n transfer.
for me this works OK. You must use what works best for you, there is no "Best solution for all", everyone has varying cameras/edit platforms/needs/workflow ect.
Test your set-up and once you've decided your good to go, then that's the solution for you.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]