Squeeze or not?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Squeeze or not?
on Aug 2, 2008 at 7:40:22 pm

So, finally it arrived - our HPX500.

We'll start shooting SD using DVCPro50.

I'd like to shoot in 16:9, but cannot really figure out what to choose in the camera setup: side crop, letter box or sqeeze?

If I choose squeeze, there's a "W" indication on the MCR thumbnail view, and a (nagging) SQU in the VF. If squeeze is the choice to do, can the SQU be disabled in the VF?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Squeeze or not?
on Aug 3, 2008 at 2:25:14 am

Squeeze for Widescreen. You can choose what you see in the viewfinder.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Aug 3, 2008 at 6:27:37 am

So the setting only affects the output on LCD/VF and not the footage being recorded? Does the HPX500 always record in 16:9?

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Aug 3, 2008 at 7:35:26 pm

[Niklas Wikman] "So the setting only affects the output on LCD/VF and not the footage being recorded? Does the HPX500 always record in 16:9?"

No, all Standard Def recording and output are affected by the Aspect Conversion setting. This also includes HD downconvert images.

Squeeze will record the image squished horizontally, to be stretched and displayed properly on a 16x9 display.

Side Crop fills a 4x3 screen by cropping off the sides of the native 16x9 image.

Letterbox does the same as Side Crop, but further crops the image at top and bottom , so the resulting image is 16x9 aspect with top and bottom black bars.

Note that anything other than Squeeze results in your image being cropped - which is a bummer when you compare how much you lose at the wide end of the lens.

There are some viewfinder-display settings you can modify, but I don't recall if the SD-aspect indicator is one of them... there's not a whole lot of choice as far as specific items to display.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]