FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 won't "read" in PCMCIA slot on PC (XP Pro)

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Honeycutt
P2 won't "read" in PCMCIA slot on PC (XP Pro)
on Jul 29, 2008 at 2:29:42 pm

Hi all. I'm in panic mode. I have a huge shoot coming up in less than two weeks and was planning on shooting in P2 (on two HVXs) but was testing the offload workflow (my first time since buying this) and I have a major issue. When I insert my P2 card into the PCMCIA slot on my HP laptop, it doesn't "read." Nothing happens with the computer under "My Computer."

Two quick things...

1) I bought this HP and it came with Vista. I, of course, had to change it to XP Pro and reinstall the drivers. I'm pretty sure everything is good to go with the basic drivers (namely, the 'wireless' drivers). When I insert the card, it does register as an "Unknown Device" under my wireless network... but again, nothing under my "My Computer" where I could read it and explore it... and it doesn't come up under the P2 viewer.

2) If I remember right, with my old laptop (which came preinstalled with XP Home or Pro), the card seemed to read, but my Avid at the time didn't have P2 capability, so I couldn't test it then... but I could "see" the card under My Computer.

What I'm trying to ask is, am I missing a driver on the XP Pro side of things? Or, am I missing drivers from Panasonic? What exactly should I install from Panasonic? (I lost my original CD that came with the camera, of course.) I found the Panasonic sixbullets (?) download page but I can't seem to find the right combination of things to install and would love to have a clear instruction of what I need to install to get P2 cards to read.

Thanks for any help... especially since Panasonic "Support" won't get in touch with me.

-Jason

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
Re: P2 won't "read" in PCMCIA slot on PC (XP Pro)
on Jul 29, 2008 at 3:56:30 pm

[Jason Honeycutt] "I found the Panasonic sixbullets (?) download page but I can't seem to find the right combination of things to install"

I don't understand your confusion. You say you're looking for a driver.

When you go to http://panasonic.sixbullets.net/, the top of the page says "P2 Drivers."

The very first sub-heading says "Window P2 Drivers," under which you find 3 downloads: 32-bit for all Windows OSes (released 12-07), 64-bit for Vista (also released 12-07) and an older 32-bit for previous systems.

Why don't you simply click on the appropriate driver? In this case it seems like the first 32-bit version, since you've changed from Vista.

If you need specific instructions on how to install a driver, the last line in that first paragraph gives a link to the P2 driver manual.

Was this a gray-market camera? I'm not sure why Panasonic won't "get in touch with" you (how did you approach them?), nor why you don't have the CD after just testing the workflow for the first time.

Return to posts index

Jason Honeycutt
on Jul 29, 2008 at 4:42:30 pm

That's kinda the thing that makes me leery about what's really going on. I did download the drivers from that page, from the same link, installed them, they show up in my bottom tray (on the right) and in my Add/Remove programs... just not in the Device Manager. I saw in a PDF that they should be in there.

And like I said, it worked in my old laptop but not on this new one. I'm wondering if there's some kind of driver I need on the XP Pro side, or something. I dunno.

The bottom line is that I insert the P2 card and nothing happens, where it can be recognized as a P2 card and I have no idea how to get this running.

And I apologize that these might seem like stupid questions but I've never tried to work straight from P2 ever so hopefully you can be understanding in that regard.

But here's another stupid question to add to the pile... when installing the driver software, when the "select camera" screen pops up, what 'camera mode' does the camera need to be in to get recognized; camera, 'VCR', or firewire. I can't seem to get that to work either.

I keep hoping to fall in love with P2 but it's been a nightmare so far. Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Jason Honeycutt
on Jul 29, 2008 at 7:44:39 pm

(Also, I'm just testing true P2 workflow because I could only afford a 4gb card at the time, which was over a thousand. Now it's obviously better and we can actually use the camera without shooting then downconverting, now keeping it 720p. On my old laptop, I installed from the CD and, like I said, it was working. Now I can't seem to get it working on my new laptop, which is my problem. I'm trying to find the variable.

This is the first project I've gotten that I would use this camera for, since it's a small budget. The prior budgets have let me use Cinealta or Varicam.)

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Jul 29, 2008 at 4:59:17 pm

Hi,

Did you leave a message on their phone and they haven't called you back?

But if you follow the instructions for loading the drivers you should be set to go. You might also want to read through the P2 Workflow papers on the Panasonic site. If you go toe http://www.panasonic.com/p2hd you should find most everything you need.

Be sure to test your workflow before you go out on location.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]