FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC-Intra to ProRes422 (HQ) or Normal ProRes?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Nichol
AVC-Intra to ProRes422 (HQ) or Normal ProRes?
on Jul 28, 2008 at 4:18:10 pm

How much of a visual difference is there between the normal ProRes 422 and the (HQ) version? I just realized my "Log and Transfer" from AVC-Intra was set to "normal" rather than "HQ". I took in 105G of AVC-Intra P2 material the other day and this resulted in a Final Cut folder that was 128G in size. My guess is the HQ version will be nearly double that. Is it better to take it in as normal, do the edit then re-capture as HQ for the final edit? Is there a big visual difference for a documentary or would this be just for EFX work? Maybe I should ask this question in the Final Cut forum instead, but let me know if anyone has any opinions.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: AVC-Intra to ProRes422 (HQ) or Normal ProRes?
on Jul 29, 2008 at 7:53:47 am

Not exactly double- read:

http://images.apple.com/finalcutstudio/resources/white_papers/L342568A_ProR...

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 29, 2008 at 12:03:39 pm

[Doug Nichol] "How much of a visual difference is there between the normal ProRes 422 and the (HQ) version? I just realized my "Log and Transfer" from AVC-Intra was set to "normal" rather than "HQ""

Doug,

I just finished some extensive testing of ProRes and you are fine, In all of my testing I found that ALL software conversions to ProRes consistently played back better when the conversion was done in the same manner as you did.

Live Capture was better with ProResHQ, but I universally recommend the Standard ProRes for ALL software conversion - less horsepower, storage and bandwidth are needed.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Doug Nichol
on Jul 29, 2008 at 3:52:51 pm

Thanks Gary - appreciate the info.
Doug

Return to posts index

Evangelos Achillopoulos
on Jul 29, 2008 at 5:28:26 pm

I was wondering... why we don't have the option of 422 10bit uncompressed ??? is it AVC-Intra a similar to Prores codec? so its not trans coding but re wrapping? For VFX and finishing I would prefer the Uncompressed instead of Prores for offline... its a matter of confidence... Noah any news from the Panasonic front, regarding AVC-Intra natively to FCP???

Evangelos Achillopoulos
Elec. Engineer
DIT, DI/VFX supervisor

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 31, 2008 at 1:56:53 pm

[Evangelos Achillopoulos] "Noah any news from the Panasonic front, regarding AVC-Intra natively to FCP???"

Looks like probably not from Apple. They seem pretty focused on the transcode workflow. However there are some third party apps that enable this, for example:

http://mxf4mac.com/products/mfx4qt/

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 2, 2008 at 5:30:36 am

I don't know if this is an Apple or Panasonic deal. Panasonic only gives out a decoder for AVC-I, not an encoder so there's no way to edit AVC-I native as you can't render to it. Also, when using Calibrated Software to read the native MXF files, AVC-Intra plays back very slow (less than real time). This is all a function of the codec, from what I understand, and not Quicktime. As of now, I don't know if it could even be possible in FCP as the AVC-I codec is not real time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]