FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slo Mo 24PN in FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael colin
Slo Mo 24PN in FCP
on Jul 23, 2008 at 4:08:00 pm

Greetings. Am posting a show shot on HVX200 in 24PN. There are shots I'd like to use slow mo on (didn't know that while shooting otherwise would have done it in camera), and it looks pretty bad just using FCP's speed adjustmen.

Any workflow ideas on getting the best slo-mo results with DVCPRO HD 720PN24 footage? I have Shake and After Effects.

Thanks,

Michael Colin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Slo Mo 24PN in FCP
on Jul 23, 2008 at 5:56:56 pm

Well, with 24PN at 23.98, it won't look nice and smooth. You're right, if you wanted nice smooth slow motion, you needed to shoot 60fps in camera, then slow down later, or even shoot slow motion in the camera. Once you shoot 24PN at 24fps, and use that in a 24fps timeline and want to slow that down, it will not be smooth.

Nattress has a slow motion plugin...part of the Big Box of Tricks...called 50%. It will slow footage down half speed, and look better than how FCP does it. Or you will have to see what AE can do, and shake. Nattress has a demo available. http://www.nattress.com

Just know, even with these methods it is interpolating footage, so it won't looks as smooth as it could...but it will look better.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 23, 2008 at 6:02:37 pm

ALthough I just tested the Nattress plugin and the results were IDENTICAL to just the regular slow motion in FCP. Because it was designed to make INTERLACED footage smoother in slow motion...this is progressive footage.

Not sure what more Shake or AE will offer you.

Shane

Return to posts index

michael colin
on Jul 23, 2008 at 6:14:50 pm

Thanks, Shane. So maybe convert the footage to 60i and mess with then, huh?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 23, 2008 at 6:32:30 pm

[michael colin] "So maybe convert the footage to 60i and mess with then, huh?"

God god man...no! Make 24fps progressive into 30fps interlaced? Ugh! Bad idea. No, you have going to have to work with your 24PN footage.

Shane

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 28, 2008 at 10:07:00 pm

you have two options in after effects (cs3)...

bring the footage into ae. make sure ae sees it as 23.976 and is not trying to separate fields (select the footage in the project window then choose file>interpret footage>main). while there, since you know you want to double the length of the footage, set it to loop 1 time, this will double the length of the comp, so you won't have to later... then drag the footage onto the make comp icon.

now you have two options:

1. with the clip layer selected choose layer>time>time stretch. enter 200% to play back at half speed. enable frame blending (layer>frame blending>pixel motion). this will use ae's built-in pixel motion to interpolate new frames. if you didn't set the footage to loop 1 time, you will need to double the comp length in the comp settings to render the full stretched clip.

2. with clip selected add the timewarp effect. the default values of method (pixel motion) and speed (50) should be what you are looking for. timewarp also has tuning settings to tweak the pixel motion interpolation which may help get better results. if you didn't set the footage to loop 1 time, double the comp's duration as described above. then, you will also need to extend the layer's length, which is a bit tricky. again there are two options: one, go back to interpret footage settings and set it to loop 1 time; or, select the footage layer and choose layer>time>enable time remapping, then just drag the outpoint (not the time remapping keyframe) to the end of the comp.

you can set these up in two different comps then compare the previews, or even render them out to compare in fcp.

shake may have better options, but, alas, i'm no help there....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]