FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 cards and remote workflow

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bailey Sory
P2 cards and remote workflow
on Jul 21, 2008 at 6:59:41 pm

I am thinking of getting a Panasonic and am relatively new to digital video.

I will be shooting video in remote locations and don't want to have to buy more than two P2 cards. Is there a device that I can use to dump the content to?

My thanks in advance.

Bailey

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: P2 cards and remote workflow
on Jul 21, 2008 at 9:49:59 pm

It's called a hard drive. They are fairly inexpensive these days. There are a few ways of getting the cards onto the hard drive.

Powerbook- just insert the P2 card in the PCMCIA slot
Mac Book Pro- insert P2 card into express34 slot via Duel Adapter.
Attach Hard drive directly to camera.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

bailey Sory
on Jul 22, 2008 at 12:50:50 am

I will be working in the alaskan wilderness and will not be able to bring the computer.

Do you know of a portable harddrive (brands, etc) that would accommodate P2 cards?

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Jul 22, 2008 at 4:01:14 am

You can use a P2 store but it has a 60 GB limit. Steve is right that you should use the computer with a portable hard drive. Like it or not, that is part of the workflow. I have used mine in Alaska as well as many other remote places and it works fine. You do have to have plenty of batteries if you do not have an AC power source but I've found a car inverter works well also. You can always go back to tape but you give up the best features of the P2 format and workflow. You should have Final Cut installed so you can check your footage before you dump the cards just to get the good feeling that all your one's and zero's are lining up correctly.

Return to posts index

bailey Sory
on Jul 23, 2008 at 12:57:28 am

Hello Dave:

Thanks so much for the information. Well let me ask - Which MacPro do you recommend? Do you simply bring additional batteries? Is there a waterproof case that you have used specifically designed for the Mac or use a pelican box?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

My thanks in advance.

Bailey

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Jul 23, 2008 at 4:21:21 am

I use a Lowe Pro Computrekker backpack for the MacBook Pro, hard drives and other accessories. It is not totally waterproof but has a raincover that wraps over it if needed. I suppose you could use a 1500 series pelican as well. Any MacBook Pro will work as long as you have the Duel Adapter for the P2 cards. I have 4 batteries for computer and 8 for the HVX-200. You can use the 2.5" USB bus powered drives in the field and then back them up to a raid 1 system when you get to some civilization. I try to make it a rule to have the P2 data in 2 places before blitzing the cards. This has allowed me to shoot for several years now with no data loss (knock on wood). You may want to invest in more P2 cards anyway since it is cheaper to spend the money on cards than to reshoot material because you skimp on cards and lose data.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]