FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 camera setings

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lisa rolley
P2 camera setings
on Jul 15, 2008 at 7:57:07 pm

Hey all,

I will be shooting this weekend indoors at a basketball - just hand held i believe but in the past when i have used the P2 there has been some graininess to the footage - i had the back dial set to one of the cine settings but i really don't understand that much about the different settings.

any help or advice on how best to shoot in such an indoor location as well as any website or resource people can point me to for quick straight forward settings break-down would be awesome
thank you

lisa

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 camera setings
on Jul 15, 2008 at 8:09:07 pm

It's all about the gamma. If you're in cine gamma, the top end of your footage gets clipped 20 ire right off the bat. Try normal gamma settings. Also, playing with the coring will help to alleviate some noise, but don't go boosting it too much or you'll get pastyface.

Are you shooting hd or sd?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jul 16, 2008 at 3:20:44 am

i am hoping to shoot 1080i50 PAL the reason being that i already have 20 hours of footage shot with an HDV camera at those settings - the remaining 50-75% of filming will be done on some sort of higher level of HD format (i.e. P2 / or XDCAM).

I want to know if it makes sense to remain the entire edit in an HDV 1080i 50 timeline in FCP and then with final locked sequence media manage to pro res ntsc or take to a good post house for trasncoding for delivery of multiple formats (hd cam, digi, dvd,etc) this is for festivals and broadcast.

your thoughts any others would be greatly appreciated in that i am new to this workflow as well as the longer format documentary format in general.

best

Lisa

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jul 16, 2008 at 3:25:38 am

ALSO JEREMY
just to be clear about gamma as you discuss - how do i achieve normal gamma settings and adjust according to room or outdoor light...and also, what is coring and where do i access that on the camera?

again this is for 1080i50 - can i even shoot PAL 1080i50 format on this camera and does that make sense considering the info i stated about my HDV footage in my previous post?

curious to get your advice and feedback...

thank you

LR

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 16, 2008 at 3:44:20 am

You need a PAL version of the HVX to shoot 1080i50. HDV and p2 are pretty different in their approach and as you have mentioned, you already have a good number of hours in the can.

If I were you, I'd continue shooting with whatever camera you have started with. it will make the final conform more easy as the online will only have to account for one format and camera, rather than adding complexity to a relatively complex process. To make your life easier, you can render to ProRes as an intermediate codec in an HDV timeline (I thought we might have discussed this on another one of your posts). If you start adding p2 DVCPRo HD footage into the mix, you will have to deal with mixing the formats which FCP will handle ok since you shooting the same general hd format/frame rate, that being 1080i50.

Also, if you are going out to another house for finishing, give them a call and see what they say. Perhaps they will see it different. If you called, Id' say stay in HDV 1080i50 and will fix it form there. Now, if you had access to an even higher quality camera (such as a HPX3000 or HDCam camera) then it'd be worth it to shoot that, but since you are working with prosumer cams, I'd stick with one format to make the online conform a more uniform process.

Make sense?

I can look up the settings for you in the camera tomorrow. I don't have it with me right now. THe manual has a settings list in the back that is pretty easy to follow. You can download a PDF and search for Gamma and coring and it should pop up. Then you need to test to see what you like. You can save different settings in the camera and switch to them when you are moving inside/outside/upside down, whatever.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:08:52 am

great help jeremy thanks so much for taking the time to reply and fast!

it looks like the P2 i'll be getting doesn ot have pal capability and the HDV camera is filming in utah and i need to shoot this weekend in nyc so it looks like my only option in that its no budget.

in that case what format would you recommend i shoot with the P2 - i do remember my previous postings where the pro res render setting was suggested and i will indeed implement that. - an important note to make also is that 10 hours has been edited on a hdv 1080i sequence - the other half which i just ingested has yet to be edited and now it looks like the director will have funds to shoot with a P2 and/or XDCAM and wants to because of the better quality - granted its no full hd and only prosumer.

I will look up the p2 manual now to check out settings - thanks for the tips.

let mek now your thoughts on this and thanks for agan for your wisdom sir.

best

lisa

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:12:53 am

Your only option is an NTSC based p2 camera?

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:54:55 am

for this weekend yes - and beyond that i want to know what to recommend for the future if he must shoot in anything besides hdv.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 16, 2008 at 5:04:32 am

Wow, well be prepared to put that footage through a standard conversion. I'd shot 1080i60 and get that converted to 1080i50.

Your other option is to shoot 720p24 and confrom that to 1080p25 by speeding up the footage by one frame per second and scaling. That's up to you and your team. Test it.

AS far as going forward, shoot 1080i50 at the very least. I gave you what I thought about shooting in another format in the other post.

If I remember correctly, you don't have access to the first 20 hours, right? You are pretty much locked to the captured footage as is, correct?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]