FORUMS: list search recent posts

Permissions Problem P2 to Mac - MobileMe culprit?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Nichol
Permissions Problem P2 to Mac - MobileMe culprit?
on Jul 15, 2008 at 2:47:12 pm

I've been having a real problem of getting p2 footage (shot AVC-Intra/24p with the HPX-3000) off of the P2 cards and on to my computer (MacPro Intel). I believe the root of the problem is a "disk permissions" issue that has come up since I did the "Software Update" on my mac over the weekend. I have since re-installed all the drivers and P2CMS from the Panasonic website, but each time I try to copy the footage onto my hard disk (any of them - including an XServe Raid) the file transfer process freezes after about 30 seconds or so and I have to do a manual shutdown. Early on I was getting messages "you do not have permission to transfer some of the files", but now I don't even get that message and the whole process just stops with the endless spinning ball. The P2 files are not corrupted (the footage all plays out fine on the camera) - I just can't figure out a way of getting the material off the cards and into my computer. I am using the Panasonic PCD-20 (five card slot drive), hooked up via firewire directly to my MacPro. I have all the most recent drivers, etc... installed. I have a feeling this is all related to the Apple MobileMe update, etc.. with the update having created some issue with the account settings, disks, etc...
Any help would be appreciated as I need to get the info off the P2 cards so I can shoot again.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
Re: Permissions Problem P2 to Mac - MobileMe culprit?
on Jul 15, 2008 at 4:27:31 pm

As soon as you said "permissions" I wondered if you've tried repairing disk permissions with Disk Utility.

(with the P2 cards UNMOUNTED just to be on the safe side)

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Doug Nichol
on Jul 15, 2008 at 5:39:33 pm

Thanks. I've performed all the usual things like "repair permissions" but it doesn't help. There just seems to be a problem with the computer allowing certain MXF files to be copied over.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 15, 2008 at 7:54:34 pm

Is the copy protection flipped on the card? it should be on (so the little orange section shows).

I know you said you did, but you installed the drivers for the PCD20, correct? Should be version 2.1

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Doug Nichol
on Jul 15, 2008 at 8:34:53 pm

Yes - did all of that. I feel the issue lies in the read/write permission on my hard drives yet they all have the "read/write" OK. Other thing could be the new version of QT or something about the Apple Update which has made it impossible to copy over the files? I have tried all the ways of copying them - using the P2CMS application and then also just dragging and dropping. Same problem both ways.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 15, 2008 at 8:42:34 pm

Hmm, that's weird. can you sign out of mobileme and see if that fixes it?

Also, use a disk (not the Xserve) and get info on it, then change the permissions to ingore ownership on the drive and choose to Apply to enclosed items.

Return to posts index

Doug Nichol
on Jul 16, 2008 at 12:44:15 am

I did those steps and it turned into a disaster. After rebooting the internal drives are locked and I can't open them. When I go to 'get info" the permissions are all at "custom" and there seems to be no way to highlight any of the options like "read/write", "read only", etc... any idea of how to unlock a locked drive when you can't access it through this method? Thanks for the help even though it turned out bad - there seems to be some weird stuff that happened after that 10.5.4 update, mobileme & QT update... If you have any ideas let me know.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 16, 2008 at 1:02:38 am

OK. You shoud do this to your external drive, not your boot drive.

There's a little lock in the get info window tht should allow access and uncheck ignore ownership.

Repair permissions on your boot drive.

We'll start there.

Return to posts index

Doug Nichol
on Jul 16, 2008 at 1:44:13 am

Yeah - did all that - lock doesn't change anything. I'm just going to back-up my Main Drive, do an erase and install and see if that fixes it.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 16, 2008 at 1:56:56 am

Email me right now before that.

editstation at gmail dot com.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 18, 2008 at 4:06:43 pm

Doug did you solve your problem? Do you know what caused it?

Return to posts index

Doug Nichol
on Jul 19, 2008 at 5:42:42 am

Yeah - all fixed. Finally was able to load all the P2 cards in. I found a terminal command on the Apple website which unlocked my locked disks and took off whatever was keeping me from transferring the material. It was weird - something probably caused when I did the update.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 19, 2008 at 11:06:30 am

Doug,

What is the url to the fix on Apples web site? I would like to add it to my Mac Medicine Cabinet. Just incase my Mac gets the "locked" disease.

Did you have to remove "Mobile Me"? or revert the system HD to earlier version?

Nothing like a little extra tension to make the week real, eh..

Congrats on your fix..

Return to posts index

Doug Nichol
on Jul 19, 2008 at 1:50:20 pm

Here's the thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7530236

The terminal strings are at the bottom. Everything is back to normal now on my system, MobileMe works fine, etc... I think I screwed up by doing the software update with some of my 3rd party stuff connected and working (ATTO SCSI Card, Kona3, etc..) - I should have disconnected them - stupid on my part.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]