FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD log and transfer problem in FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Romanis
AVCHD log and transfer problem in FCP
on Jul 12, 2008 at 12:32:37 am

I have been using the Panasonic AG HSC 1U AVCHD camcorder for location recce's for a while now, and using FCP to transcode the AVCHD to ProRes 422 for use in FCP to organise and show clips.
I updated Quicktime for other app's, and now when I use Log and Transfer, the 1st frame of the image is correct, but then as movement occurs the image blocks out and becomes useless straight away, looking very mosaic in the process.

Replaying the footage directly from the camera to a monitor is fine.
I have reinstalled the AVCHD plugin from the Panasonic site and trashed preferences in FCP, rebuilt privelages, tried the intermediate codec, but nothing rectifies this issue.
Is any one aware of the Quicktime 7.5 update causing any conflicts in this manner?
I should add that the footage plays back perfectly well in the log and transfer window.
BTW. Mac is a 17" 2.5Ghz intel laptop, OSX 10.5.4.

Return to posts index

William Carr
Re: AVCHD log and transfer problem in FCP
on Jul 12, 2008 at 6:14:20 am

I use a different model Panny AVCHD that uses SD cards plus a 15" MBPro, yet, here is a thought:

Since you upgraded to Quicktime 7.5, maybe your current config has issues. This worked for me:

http://37prime.com/news/?p=99

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Jul 12, 2008 at 8:42:03 am

Thanks William,
No luck with this, the same artifact occurs.
Matthew.

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Jul 13, 2008 at 5:33:18 am

[Matthew Romanis] " have reinstalled the AVCHD plugin from the Panasonic site and trashed preferences in FCP"

Where is this plug-in? I can only find a windows encoder. or am I in the wrong place?

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/download.htm#avchd

"thou can not stir a flower without crumbling a star" ......Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jul 13, 2008 at 6:03:34 am

Actually there is no FCP plug-in for AVCHD, just for AVC-Intra. AVCHD is supposed to be FCP native, but there are issues, plus some of the cameras flavor their media files a little differently.

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Jul 13, 2008 at 6:00:54 pm

Thanks for confirming. I'm trying to ingest 4GB in my seemingly antiquated system (G5 D2GHZ/FCS ver5.1.4) I've gotten some small files 20 -200MB in using VoltaicHD but it won't import the 4GB file.

"thou can not stir a flower without crumbling a star" ......Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jul 13, 2008 at 6:52:07 pm

Wow, good luck. AVCHD is not recommended for non-Intel Macs as I'm sure you know.

If you're using 29.97 footage, it's maybe possible the latest iMovie could get you ingested and you can import those files, but it sounds like lots of crunch time for your processors.

If you have a capture card there also might be a hardware solution using your camera's HDMI or component outputs, but that might require an additional throughput transcoder from AJA or somebody.

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Jul 13, 2008 at 7:56:33 pm

I have tried imovie6 HD and I had a friend tried to open them with imovie8 on their macbook pro to no avail.

There are a number of real time transcoders out there from $500.00 and up. The MXO2 looks promising (for intel users) and the DVEO product looks useful as a stand alone for other HDMI conversion/display tasks. It leaves me pondering - do I find a simple solution or do I purchase for the future to deal with other HDMI interface issues. I currently don't have a single HDMI interface in my operation but I know that will have to change.

For this project the client is in a different city and I don't have easy access to the camera so SW is the simplest solution. I'm not quite ready to drop 10K upgrading my system although the time is ripe. :(

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2/

http://www.dveo.com/broadcast-systems/High-Definition/MPEG-2-converters.htm...

http://www.videomediasolutions.com/gefen_EXT-HDMI-2-HDSDIS.html

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?baseItem=AJA-HA5&cat=CABLESCONN&subcat...

http://www.convergent-design.com/

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jul 14, 2008 at 1:13:50 am

FWIW, I moved from a G5 D2.5 with Kona2 and 8TB SCSI RAID to a MacBookPro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with a few G-RAIDs and my overall performance is distinctly better.

My main ingest is P2, AVCHD and occasional HDV so no capture cards necessary. eSATA would be nice, but even with humble firewire 800 RAID-0 I've cut a DVCPROHD feature, many shorts, docus, music videos-- at both 720 and 1080-- with no issues.

Point being you may not have to drop 10K on upgrading, depends on overall needs.
The G5 with all trimmings and SCSI RAID cost north of 30K when I bought it all, the MBPRO system above with comparable RAID capacity about 6K. I kept the 23" monitor from the old sys (and ought to get an MXO for it).

And moving forward with the toolkit does a lot for the morale... like they say on TV, "priceless."

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Jul 14, 2008 at 8:16:43 pm

[William Carr] " the MBPRO system above with comparable RAID capacity about 6K"

6K... hmmm that has a nice ring to it. Trouble is every time I've gone to buy a laptop I've come home with a tower. Given I'd need a card, updated storage solution and SW update this might be a great time to go for the MBPRO. Thanks all for the input.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 14, 2008 at 6:53:08 pm

[William Carr] "Actually there is no FCP plug-in for AVCHD, just for AVC-Intra. AVCHD is supposed to be FCP native,"

Neither are native. There is no native support for AVCHD. You can either import it as AIC or ProRes..

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jul 14, 2008 at 7:35:28 pm

Ooops, of course, sorry.
Not needing a driver to get the clips into an edit felt more "native" than needing one!

Return to posts index

Matthieu Foulet
on Dec 9, 2008 at 7:47:11 pm

Hi,
I am having the very same problem as Matthew...
Did anyone figured out where it comes from ?
m

Return to posts index

Matthieu Foulet
on Dec 11, 2008 at 5:43:01 pm

After a few nights googling, it appears that there is an issue between OS X Leopard 10.5.5 and Perian.
I just had to uninstall Perian (from the pref panel) for everything to go back to normal.
I since have had no flickering problem while transferring AVCHD from my camera.
If this can help anyone...
m

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]