FORUMS: list search recent posts

1394 Firewire Problem

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Shapiro
1394 Firewire Problem
on Jul 5, 2008 at 11:10:36 pm

Hi, I am having a problem connecting my Panasonic HVX200AP camera to my Mac Powerbook G4 using a 1394 firewire cable. It worked earlier today, but now I keep getting the message "1394 Device Disconnect" when I try to connect them.

Here is my order of operations: I turn off computer and camera and then connect the firewire cable. I turn on computer and camera. I press the mode button once so that the files are displayed on the LCD screen. Then I press the mode button again and hold it down. The LCD screen turns blue and "1394 Device" flashes. Then it stops flashing and reads "1394 Device Disconnect."

Please help me if you can! I am helping my sister with a very important project, and we have very limited time! Please bear in mind that I am a a technological idiot, so reply in layman's terms if you will. I really, really appreciate your help!

Thanks so much, Laura

Return to posts index

Paul Farmer
Re: 1394 Firewire Problem
on Jul 5, 2008 at 11:59:10 pm

Laura,
It sounds like you're connecting the firewire properly. It does say "1394 Device Disconnect" when you first go to PC/Dub mode but then it should change to "1394 Device Connect" automatically after a few seconds. Check to see if your firewire is securely connected at both ends. I know that these things can be frustrating when they don't work the way they should. Keep trying and good luck.

Return to posts index

Laura Shapiro
on Jul 6, 2008 at 12:25:44 am

Thanks for your response. The cables are definitely connected tightly, so I am beginning to think maybe the firewire port is broken.

I went to the store and bought a USB cable to try that instead. It connected, but only one of my two P2 cards showed up on my desktop. I am copying it right now, but I was wondering what the deal is and how I can fix this?

Thanks again,
Laura

Return to posts index

George Burbano
on Jul 7, 2008 at 1:09:53 am

I get an occasional problem also connecting the camera with the computer. On my powerbook though I use the PCMCIA port, but Im assuming you are using one of the newer mac-pros.. which use expresscard slot. You can purchase an express card PCMCIA card reader by the way, I know some guys who use them and bought them for $60..

I would reinstall the P2 Driver for the camera, reboot the computer, then turn the powerbook off, camera off, plug the fw cable to both, turn the camera on first, hit the MCR button, the thumbnails appear, then turn the computer on, once booted, press and hold the MCR button, see if it connects then.. Before you do all this though, plug another FW device in, and see if it works.. then you can rule out any problems with the port itself. It sounds like a software issue. Also make sure you have the new drivers installed if you are using the 16gb cards or greater. There are different drivers for the newer cards..

Hope that helps,

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]