FORUMS: list search recent posts

CArd reader for P2 Cards to MacPro desktop

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Garman
CArd reader for P2 Cards to MacPro desktop
on Jul 4, 2008 at 5:02:24 pm

I can't believe panny doesn't make a cheap, handy little P2 card reader like Sony's SxS reader for $140. Maybe I just missed it but it seems for each solution I have seen, you already have to have a PCMIA or other slot which of course the MacPro desktop has none of. It ouwld have to plug in to USB or Firewire and reading one card at a time is fine. Anything out there? Someone is really missing an opportunity here. I think P2's will aorund for a long while.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: CArd reader for P2 Cards to MacPro desktop
on Jul 4, 2008 at 5:53:35 pm

[Steve Garman] "I can't believe panny doesn't make a cheap, handy little P2 card reader like Sony's SxS reader for $140. Maybe I just missed it but it seems for each solution I have seen, you already have to have a PCMIA or other slot which of course the MacPro desktop has none of. It ouwld have to plug in to USB or Firewire and reading one card at a time is fine. Anything out there? Someone is really missing an opportunity here. I think P2's will aorund for a long while."

It's your lucky day as there is something already for desktop machines, right here:

http://www.amtron.com/reader/p2card_reader.htm

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 4, 2008 at 6:22:01 pm

Noah,

Ya got me all excited and then I read this, "If your Mac only has PCI Express (PCIe) expansion slot, please do not purchase this PCI-interface card reader.]" on their web site under the specs list....

Appreciate the effort, but no 'points' We need one that works with MacPro...

Return to posts index

Steve Garman
on Jul 4, 2008 at 7:08:40 pm

Based on their description, it seems this card is only for older Mac G4's and G5's and not MacPro Intel systems. The broken English isn't mine:
"Work with Power Mac G4 & earlier G5 (OS X10.4 or later). [Macintosh Users: This DEXIS card reader works only if the Macintosh desktop, such as Power Mac G4 and earlier Power Mac G5, has 64-bit PCI expansion slot on Mac's motherboard. However, most of the newer Mac desktop computers do not have PCI expansion slot on motherboard. If your Mac only has PCI Express (PCIe) expansion slot, please do not purchase this PCI-interface card reader.]"

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 4, 2008 at 7:55:54 pm

Yeah I forgot about that- it's kind of a shame too. Well you have some other options- the P2 Drive works via Firewire and USB 2. Or a P2 Store. Or you buy a cheap PC with a PCMCIA drive or an old Powerbook. Or a new MacBook Pro and get the Duel Adapter.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.

Return to posts index

Steve Garman
on Jul 4, 2008 at 9:04:16 pm

Our shop isn't Panasonic but we have one customer who just bought a P2 camera. He'll want to drop his cards by (not his whole camera) and let us load them into FCP. We'd like to be able to accommodate him and we don't have any of the other items you mentioned. We have the small Sony reader that is USB and works perfectly with just the SxS cards.

You'd think Panasonic could at least mimic that solution and therefore help spread the use of P2 cards. By only having high-dollar solutions, they are unconsciously having the opposite effect on the marketplace

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 5, 2008 at 12:58:32 am

The P2 store is like a $75/day rental...

Noah

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Jul 5, 2008 at 8:09:34 am

Hi Guys

Can I chime in here, the Amtron reader works great I have one in My old G4 PCI under Tiger, But it is left behind by the later PCIe slots.
If Amtron updated this Reader to work in the newer Macpro's running Leopard they could not keep up the demand I'm sure, Just see how many posts are out there for an affordable 1 or 2 slot solution.
I'm Sure The Panasonic 5 card reader is very well built and their future 5 card reader with PCIe interface will also be a great , But, I'm also sure it will be out of the price range of many P2 users. So, Panasonic have created a huge demand for Old PCMCIA slotted lappies, good on "em".

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 8, 2008 at 5:05:33 am

I have to admit the lack of desktop support for p2 amazes me. The Duel Adapter at least gets the MBP back into the transfer game at a reasonable price. I would spend a couple of hundred bucks for good professional looking P2 adapter for my MacPro.

Rentals of a P2 Store would add up pretty quickly and we need to remember most of the US has zero video equipment available for rental. Example Chattanooga sits 2 hours from Atlanta, Nashville and Knoxville but you couldn't rent a professional DV camera in that city.

Return to posts index

Chris Williams
on Jul 11, 2008 at 6:46:58 am

Has anyone tried this USB2 PCMCIA reader as a P2 card reader?

http://www.addonics.com/products/cipher/cudd.asp

For $80 it might be a good option for Mac Pro users.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 14, 2008 at 4:20:32 pm

CHRIS,

YOUR ANSWER IS - " The Ultra DigiDrive does not support P2 cards. It supports only PCMCIA Form Factor ATA Flash Cards, PCMCIA Form Factor Hard Drives, and memory cards when using a PCMCIA Form Factor adapter."

ADDONICS, are great people about answering your questions, before you buy the gear... just ask their support staff...

They would be the ones to watch, when it comes to who will be the first with a inexpensive P2 card reader for the desk top.

Return to posts index

Lon Keller
on Jul 15, 2008 at 2:01:23 pm

Here's what we're going to try ...

Inside our MacPro, we'll be installing a PCIe to ExpressCard Adapter from SIIG, Inc. Plugging into this will be the Bridging PCMCIA to ExpressCard Duel Adapter from Duel Systems.

The gear should be here in a few days. I'll report back when I know more.

Thanks,
Lon

Lon Keller
Chief Editor / Producer
Sundog Studios

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 15, 2008 at 2:48:20 pm

Lon,

I purchased the SIIG PCMCIA to USB external adaptor and tried exactly what you are attempting with the PCIe buss version,,,, it didn't work,,, and I want my 30 bucks for dinner...

Good luck

And post back your success or failure.... Maybe you can save a P2 fools dinner ;-)

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Jul 24, 2008 at 6:35:28 am

Hello Lon,

have you tested your set-up yet.?.
Interesting if you are on OS 10.5 leopard on a Macpro ?, or just on the older mac with Tiger ?.
Good luck, please post back results and OS/Mac set-up.

Cheers
Tom k
olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Aug 14, 2008 at 2:46:21 pm

Did your P2 experiment work???

Just curious, still looking for affordable desktop P2 offload

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:47:00 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Panasonic's AJ-PCD2GPJ - Card reader. At $340 it's pricey, but there aren't many solutions out there. (I tried the Duel Adaptor and it never worked).

I'm on an 2010 MBPro on Snow Leopard, but am guessing the AJ-PCD2GPJ works on both desk and laptops.

Return to posts index

Cristina Cassidy
on Oct 1, 2011 at 2:35:07 am

Hi, I'm about to buy the Panasonic AJ-PCD2GPJ Single-Slot P2 Memory Card Drive and am running Snow Leopard on a MacBookPro2006 or 2007. Did you have to load drivers from the Internet to get the card to work? If so, was it easy to load the drivers? The reason I ask is that I used to use the Dual Adapter one-slot (not Panasonic) till I upgraded to Snow Leopard and it wouldn't work anymore. I have a gig next Saturday and need a P2 card reader. Does it take a long time to download?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]