FORUMS: list search recent posts

Performance with no immediate light?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Pearl
Performance with no immediate light?
on Jul 1, 2008 at 9:18:24 pm

I want to use an HVX to shoot 720 24 video through a hallway that will be dark (no natural light). Just out of the hallway there will be lights set up on the subject I am going to video. The HVX will be about 2 ft in the hallway, and away from the lights. How will the HVX perform with no light where the camera is located?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Performance with no immediate light?
on Jul 1, 2008 at 11:12:41 pm

It's always best to experiment.

My experiences show that the HVX200 (like all cameras) doesn't do well without proper lighting. Black (aka 7.5 IRE) equals ~10 foot candles, which to your eye is pretty bright.

How far from the camera will the subject be?
How many foot candles will reach your subject?

Return to posts index

Rick Pearl
on Jul 1, 2008 at 11:45:38 pm

I do not currently have access to the HVX --- I'm sort of doing some pre-planning for an upcoming shoot.

My guesstimate is that the camera will be around 15-ft from the subject.

"How many foot candles will reach your subject? " Pardon my ignorance, though I am not clear what this means...I am very new to this.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jul 2, 2008 at 8:06:56 am

Dude, there's no need to apologize because at some point even Guillermo Navarro was new to this. Let me suggest a book: The Barebones Camera Course for Film and Video. http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Bones-Camera-Course-Video/dp/0960371818

I also recommend a light meter: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/435535-REG/Sekonic_401399_L_398A_Stud...

So click on the light meter link, and then click on the enlarge option. You'll see a series of numbers along the top of the light meter: 0, 5, 10, 20, 40, 80, 160, 320, 640, 1.25K. Those values are a measure of how bright the light is. Those numbers correspond to foot candles. The AG HVX200 records 10 foot candles as being equivalent to black.

Since you're a beginner, I'll say this as a rule of thumb (and later you can improve on it): "Your camera needs 10 times more light than your eye."

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 4, 2008 at 4:50:31 pm

[Rick Pearl] "How will the HVX perform with no light where the camera is located?"

The camera can be in complete darkness, it has no bearing on the recorded subject which is your concern and that is what needs to be lit well. The other thing that I think should be noted is when people say that the camera doesn't do well in low light they normally mean it is hard to get detail in low light without a lot of grain. This is indeed the case, but it you have a well lit subject in a very dark area (high contrast) and you don't want detail in the shadows you can get some beautiful shots.

Every helpful to have an external monitor for shoots like this, this is always the case but in specialized setups it is even more important.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]