FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to have anormorphic (2.39:1) on HVX 200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yoshanka Samararawira
how to have anormorphic (2.39:1) on HVX 200
on Jun 20, 2008 at 4:47:48 pm

Hi,

I am a film student and I'm gonna shoot a music video soon. I would like to shoot it on anamorphic (2.39:1) but we don't have enough budget to rent a lens. I would like to know if there is any setting on the Panasonic HVX 200 that allows you to know where the two "black bars" are going to be if I want it to be anamorphic. If not I would like to know how much gaffer tape I should put on the monitor and on the LCD Screen. I might use either a small portable monitor or a regular size monitor.

Please send me a reply as soon as possible.

Thanks a million

Yoshanka

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: how to have anormorphic (2.39:1) on HVX 200
on Jun 20, 2008 at 5:47:24 pm

Sure- create the matte as you want in your editing software. Output back to the camera and then put clear tape over or draw on the viewfinder with erasable pen- I'd go the former where the bars are. It's low tech but it works like a charm. Then you'll of course matte off the rest in post.

Just a thought but why do all film students want to shoot anamorphic? Must be something about that widescreen epic feel makes you feel more movie like... :)

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Yoshanka Samararawira
on Jun 20, 2008 at 6:09:04 pm

Hi,
Thanks for replying so soon. I'm sorry but I didn't quite understand what you meant. How much clear tape should I put?

Yeah anamorphic makes it so cool too. We've always wanted to make movies and now that we have the possibility we just wanna dive right in. Most of us actually would prefer directly shooting in 35mm rather than beginning with dv and working our way up:)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 20, 2008 at 10:33:26 pm

I mean you would actually put horizontal strips of tape on the LCD monitor of the camera where the matte bars from your test footage fall. Then you will know where they'll be for new footage as you shoot.

[Yoshanka Samararawira] "Most of us actually would prefer directly shooting in 35mm rather than beginning with dv and working our way up:)"

That would be quite an expensive way to learn. If you can make a good movie in DV you can make a good movie in 35mm. Bad film looks no nicer than bad DV...

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]