FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 workflow out in the field

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kiko Maniko
P2 workflow out in the field
on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:29:18 pm

Okay you mad geniuses... I need your advice.

This week I'm picking up my HVX-200a with 2 x 16GB and 1 x 32GB P2 cards and a PCMCIA to Express Card adapter for my MacBook Pro. I will be shooting 720p/24N out in the elements in Central America - often far from electricity BUT in proximity to my vehicle. I will need to quickly ingest the footage and turn around and begin shooting again with the formatted P2 cards.

The problem:

I need to ingest the data to two separate drives in one step - as mentioned in this other COW post, but I won't have electricity. I could, however, get a DC/AC adapter for the vehicle that I have seen online, but it makes me nervous for so many reasons.

G-Tech's G-Store is out of stock until next month (too late), and the G-Speed is bigger than I need. I like the sound of the Sans Digital MobileSTOR Raid 1, but still the electricity problem. Or is there another solution right under my nose? Am I up poop creek and asking too much? Damn you HD!

Thanks in advance.
Kirk

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: P2 workflow out in the field
on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:37:25 pm

While I like the idea of backing up to two physical drives at once, I have found that the WD MyBookPro 1TB drive is nice because it is a RAID 1 500GB drive. Problem is that it's AC powered only although it has a DC plug.

When I am in remote locations, I usually use a bus powered little notebook drive, then clone it to another drive at night.

It leaves me a little bit exposed to disaster but so far, no problems.

Not sure if there is a bus powered RAID on the market and also not sure at all about the DC plug from car. Might work great, might be a bit unreliable in supplying steady current.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Kiko Maniko
on Jun 10, 2008 at 12:51:33 am

Thanks Dan. Have you had any problems with the performance or transfer speed of that WD drive? And what notebook drive(s) are you using?

Kirk

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jun 10, 2008 at 1:11:37 am

I have stacks of the Western Digitals. I usually only edit DV on them though. For DVCProHD, I use my RAID, I mainly just use the WDs for storage. They work fine.

I built my own Notebook drives with these sweet little aluminum cases I bought from Other World Computing. I think the case is called a Speedzter 2. Can't recall which drive I stuck in the cases, I think that the might be Hitachi or ?? Anyway, they work like a dream.

Dan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2008 at 4:13:32 am

These drives are powered off of your firewire bus and can be set up raid 1:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusionf2.html

You'd probably need a couple of them as you'd get 300Gigs or so after formatting for raid 1.

Also, 64GBs (which is what you have in your cards) will get you about 160 or so minutes of record time in 720p24N.

Don't know how that effects you, but that's a decent run time right there.

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jun 10, 2008 at 4:23:11 am

Oh yeah, Ned Soltz just reviewed those in DV Mag. He really liked it. Looks like the sweet little setup.

Dan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2008 at 4:33:15 am

[Dan Brockett] "Looks like the sweet little setup. "

Yes it is. If you look closely at the bottom of that page, you'll see my setup :)

I'd imagine 1TB models would be coming pretty soon with the advent of 500GB 2.5" SATAs.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 10, 2008 at 4:27:55 pm

On our HVX200 DVD we show different ways to handle this out in the field. Two drive backup is definitely recommended but not an absolute essential. I'd almost recommend simply getting more P2 cards so you can make it to a night and power without recycling any cards. In 720p 24pN you can fit a *lot* onto a 32 GB card.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Kiko Maniko
on Jun 10, 2008 at 4:58:14 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. Keep them coming. The Sonnet Fusion F2 article and website make it sound like a great option, although it ain't cheap... but neither are P2 cards.

Noah, where is that DVD? I was looking for something like that the other day and did not find it.

Kirk

Return to posts index

Kiko Maniko
on Jun 10, 2008 at 7:15:30 pm

Although the price on the Sonnet Fusion F2 seems to have come down a bit, it still doesn't alleviate the problem of being able to ingest straight to the drive. It is powered via firewire, but it has to be plugged into the Express Card slot through a SATA adapter. Thus the PCMCIA adapter couldn't be used simultaneously. Right?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2008 at 7:20:36 pm

[Kiko Maniko] "Thus the PCMCIA adapter couldn't be used simultaneously. Right?"

Good point and correct.

You can use your camera as a card reader. I have a P2 store for such tasks. I always use the express34 slot for storage.

Return to posts index

John McKeown
on Jul 28, 2008 at 1:14:46 pm

Hi

When you use the Fusion F2 in the field on a MacBook Pro, do use a firewire hub to connect the HVX-200, as your only Firewire 400 port is in use by the F2?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm just wondering which way to go with field acquisition.

Many thanks in advance.

John McKeown

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 28, 2008 at 4:23:53 pm

[John McKeown] "When you use the Fusion F2 in the field on a MacBook Pro, do use a firewire hub to connect the HVX-200, as your only Firewire 400 port is in use by the F2? "

I don't connect the HVX through firewire. The Firewire used by the F2 is just for power only. It does not take up any bandwidth. If you need to connect through firewire, you can get a fw800 to fw400 cable and connect your camera that way.

Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John McKeown
on Jul 28, 2008 at 10:09:00 pm

Thanks for the simple answer to my dumb question.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 29, 2008 at 1:59:35 am

[John McKeown] "Thanks for the simple answer to my dumb question. "

No worries, John. There's no dumb questions about information that you don't know. That's why the cow is here.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]