FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need specs for a P2 Shoot

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason vigue
Need specs for a P2 Shoot
on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:08:44 pm

We're editing a commercial shot on P2. I need to give them shooting specs, so I thought I would get some ideas. Here's the key variables.
I'm not sure what camera they're shooting on, but we won't have effects shots. I will just be people on the street interviews.
We're cutting on Avid, delivering full frame SD 720x486 29.97.
Right now I'm requesting that they shoot at DVCPRO50 480/60i. I am wondering if 480/30P would be better. HD is an option, but they don't want a letterbox, and I don't trust the production company to keep everything safe for the center crop.
I may be on the right track, but I wanted to check with people who have more P2 experience.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Need specs for a P2 Shoot
on Jun 10, 2008 at 4:23:53 pm

why 30p- that doesn't look good at all IMHO. And 60i would be a lot harder to pull decent composites. Go 24p and you'll be fine. For camera recommendations we'd need to know what sort of camera. Saying it's "P2" is like saying it's a "sports car" and then asking for the right air filter. :)

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jason vigue
on Jun 10, 2008 at 4:39:11 pm

why would we shoot 24p just to do a pulldown? I understand more with film, but less with video. This is for broadcast, so we have to go 29.97 anyway.

Return to posts index

Jason vigue
on Jun 10, 2008 at 6:51:32 pm

Just got the camera we're using. it's the HVX200A

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 11, 2008 at 5:17:26 am

[Jason vigue] "why would we shoot 24p just to do a pulldown? I understand more with film, but less with video. This is for broadcast, so we have to go 29.97 anyway."

Sure but why composite at 29.97 60i when you can do it at 24p. Advantages- 24p is a much cleaner composite. You get the higher end film look. You have 20% less frames to composite=less render time. Then you editing system easily adds the pulldown back in for 29.97 compatibility. And you'll be following the same workflow any movie shot in Hollywood follows to wind up on home video. Please don't make me explain more about why 24p is better to 60i though, that's a discussion I thought I left behind in 2004. :) I'd suggest some reading up if you're still asking why shoot 24p if I'm finishing 29.97.

720p 24pN would be my recommendation with the HVX200. You asked- there you go.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jun 18, 2008 at 8:19:06 pm

You may be interested in this link: http://lurkertech.com/lg/fields/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]