FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting LOUD bands with the HVX200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
benjamin cameron
shooting LOUD bands with the HVX200
on Jun 7, 2008 at 9:53:28 pm

does anyone have any experience shooting live sound for loud rock'n'roll bands with the HVX200, using the internal mic? my sound keeps clipping, even though i monitor the levels, and record at an average level of three dots showing on the level meter (very low). i have even used a baffle on the mic, to no avail. what am i doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: shooting LOUD bands with the HVX200
on Jun 7, 2008 at 10:31:29 pm

Forget it- that's not what it's for. In fact consider the internal mics your absolutely last resort always and you'll get much better sound. The way to get good sound in a concert is to take a feed from the show's mixing board, or if they record it- get that recording and post sync.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
on Jun 8, 2008 at 5:36:57 am

We gave up on using the on-camera mics on our HVX's quite a while ago.

For documentation type shoots:
We run a 2 track recording (stereo pair) from the back of the room. 48khz DAT/ADAT/DA-88 works great. Run 2 or 3 cameras and re-sync everything in post. Use freerun TC or pop a camera flash at a few points in the evening for a down and dirty quick sync point for the video tracks. 48khz audio is key. The HVX records at 48...if you "uprez" a 2 track recording from 44.1 you will have problems. REcord it always in 48 and it keeps the issues to a minimum.

LIVE SHOOT (When the band is better funded:)
We run a second audio console---using a transformer based splitter--to split all of the mic signals from onstage into two consoles. One console runs the FOH (front of house) sound and the second console is used to create a decent 2 track mix/feed. The FOH signal (what is sent to the PA) is not a good signal to use. That mix is set up to balance the onstage sound to the room. Most PA mixes contain mostly vocals and and minimal levels of the other instruments. (A 1500+ seat venue would most likely have a "fuller" mix). We often ALSO run a multitrack recording of the show (one track for every mic onstage) which allows us to create a final mix in the studio later. Not everyone can afford a rental rack of ADAT's or DA-88's for an evening, but they are usually much more reliable than using a PC/laptop with a multi-channel audio interface.

From my past experience with these types of events....Most sound guys in their desire to please will tell you that they can create a separate feed for you off of their console. As a professional musican and a TV producer I can tell you the reality is even the best sound guys only have one set of ears....... A bands sound can be very dynamic and can change over the course of an evening...unless that mix is monitored constantly...it may fall apart quickly.
POINT BEING: FOH is that guy's primary job for the evening. Its why he is there...its what he is being paid to be there for. Your video shoot (and audio quality) is secondary to him....SO when the audio quality REALLY matters for the client...hire a second sound guy and run a second board. You will get much, much better results.

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

benjamin cameron
on Jun 8, 2008 at 6:02:03 pm

thanks for the replies! recording from the board is almost never an option for me, the bands i shoot play a lot of house parties, etc where that is not an option. while i can potentially do the back of the room stereo recording, i am often working alone and would not be able to run a recorder and the camera. my question would be this, is there an external mic that i could use on the HVX that would capture good (my projects don't need perfect sound, just no clipping) sound? i shoot standing right in front, but not always right in front of the monitors. thanks!

Return to posts index

dana lavoie
on Jun 10, 2008 at 7:31:01 pm

you should buy or rent a stereo mic and mont it on your camera with a shock mont.

try the SHURE VP88 heres a link

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68506-REG/Shure_VP88_VP88_Mic_with.ht...

and here's a link to a show i shot using it

http://www.vbs.tv/video.php?id=494918804

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]