FORUMS: list search recent posts

p2 Mac spanned footage not importing

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Dorris
p2 Mac spanned footage not importing
on Jun 4, 2008 at 2:07:29 pm

Hello All,

So, apparently far too late, I've learned that using Finder to dump your p2 footage is a bad idea. I've just found that 6 hours of irreplaceable footage is somehow missing or corrupt.

I used finder to copy and paste copies of my p2 cards, and ended up with folders with 14.68 gigs of data in them. All the MXF files are there, etc, but when I try to view it in p2CMS or import it to FCS2 with Log and Transfer, it processes the folder, but no clips show up in the windows. Premiere CS3 will import the files, but only plays audio, with a still frame for video. The footage was 4:3 60i DV recorded to p2 cards, with several spanned clips.

Has anyone run into this situation and hopefully found some sort of fix? I cannot fix the cards themselves as they have data on them that I need, and after dumping I formatted and re-used them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point. I fear I may be really quite far up the creek. Need a paddle.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: p2 Mac spanned footage not importing
on Jun 4, 2008 at 3:06:51 pm

Do you have FX Factory installed? Version 1 and Version 2 interfered with P2 import in FCP v 6.0.2 and up. Updating FX Factory to 2.0.1 or removing it will make it work again.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.LFHD.net
Read my blog!

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Jun 4, 2008 at 9:33:15 pm

Yep, i had the same maddeding issue with FXFactory. Update fixed it.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2008 at 7:23:18 pm

[Matthew Dorris] "I used finder to copy and paste copies of my p2 cards, and ended up with folders with 14.68 gigs of data in them. "

Copy and paste? Really? Drag and drop is better than copy and paste.

Now, though, I use P2CMS's export function. It copies and then verifies the copy.

Loverly.

Return to posts index

Matthew Dorris
on Jun 4, 2008 at 9:39:27 pm

Well, Copy and Paste has served me well on the PC workflow I've been using. Obviously, lesson learned RE: OSX and drag n' drop / cut and paste whatever. It's P2CMS on all platforms for me, from here on out.

Meantime, I do not have FXFactory. Other cards I have are importing fine.

Strangely, Edius is giving me video but no audio when I import the folders, for 3 of the 4 card data folders. Premeire CS3 gives me audio, and "red bar" video, but the "red bar" video is just a still frame that persists throughout the length of the clip if it's rendered or not, and weather i'm playing the clip or scrubbing through frame by frame. I feel like this is salvageable, and at the very least i can match up the audio and video of the 3 folders, but I'm hoping that I'm missing something somehow...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2008 at 3:18:45 am

Are there matching video files for the audio files in the CONTENTS folder?

Return to posts index

Matthew Dorris
on Jun 5, 2008 at 11:14:58 am

Hey,

Yes there are. There are two audio files for every video file. The problem is getting them to load and play in the same NLE. Is there an program out there that will convert raw .mxf files? I'll have to try procoder when I get home.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2008 at 12:20:58 pm

OK. Two thoughts.

Calibrated Software allows direct importing of MXF files to FCP (among other things):

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/

P2LogPro will repair MXF files. If you download a demo of theirs, it allows you to repair a clip or two for free, but I am not sure if it will work in your case:

http://www.imagineproducts.com/P2log.htm

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]