FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why do P2 cards show up on the desktop as "No Name"?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Abourezk
Why do P2 cards show up on the desktop as "No Name"?
on Jun 3, 2008 at 8:57:01 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering why on my desktop (with the HVX-200 plugged in via firewire) the cards show up with a generic icon and the name 'NO NAME", but when I slide the P2 card into my older Mac Powerbook, it shows up with the appropriate icon and the name is "P2 Card".

Thanks,
Matt

Talkingbox Digital Media Group, Inc.
http://www.talkingboxdmg.com
(203) 327-6617

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Why do P2 cards show up on the desktop as "No Name"?
on Jun 4, 2008 at 2:25:24 am

Because P2 Cards are formatted as Fat 32. Macs cannot interpret a name so it names it No Name.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Arthur Aldrich
on Jun 4, 2008 at 11:07:18 am

It has to do with the physical way the cards mount. In a laptop with cardbus slot or the Duel Adapter, the cards are treated as volumes, and retain the generic volume name and icon. Via USB or firewire, they are mounted differently and that data doesn't translate.

BTW, If you use the free Panasonic utility "P2 Formatter' for Mac, you can format the card with a proper name that will show up on the desktop no matter which method you choose to mount the cards.

-
Art Aldrich
OTEK TV
Leader, NJFCPUG
http://www.njfcpug.org

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2008 at 7:27:01 pm

[Arthur Aldrich] "BTW, If you use the free Panasonic utility "P2 Formatter' for Mac, you can format the card with a proper name that will show up on the desktop no matter which method you choose to mount the cards. "

Tiger (10.4) only, at the moment. It does work though. A caveat is that if you format the card in the camera, it will lose this info.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]