FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Card Knockoffs coming soon??

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Thomas
P2 Card Knockoffs coming soon??
on May 28, 2008 at 2:07:19 am

With as simple as the P2 cards look inside, I would think some other manufacturers could make them for much cheaper (unless Panasonic has some sort of airtight patent on them).

I mean, 4 RAIDed SD cards in a PCMIA case. How hard can that be to duplicate?

If I'm wrong, can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Bill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 Card Knockoffs coming soon??
on May 28, 2008 at 2:58:45 am

[Bill Thomas] "If I'm wrong, can someone enlighten me? "

Try to do it yourself and match it's reliability?

Return to posts index

Bill Thomas
on May 28, 2008 at 3:25:42 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Try to do it yourself and match it's reliability?"

Not like I'm gonna do it on my garage workbench!!

I mean someone like PNY, or Sandisk, etc.

(Of course, THEY'RE probably the ones selling SD cards to Panasonic at gov't prices!!)

Return to posts index

john paluzzi
on May 28, 2008 at 3:37:17 am

Fujinon announced at NAB that they will be producing P2 cards in the near future.

HPX-2000 w/AVC board
P2 Mobile with AVC board
MBP 10.5

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 28, 2008 at 3:45:16 am

well for one thing they are protected by patents so I'd think you'd be facing some trademark lawsuits without licensing the P2 card technology from Panasonic first. It's not just 4 SD cards glued together, there's also a custom RAID controller inside and also little green men that chant...

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on May 28, 2008 at 11:26:54 am

I bought another 32gig very recently, it was nearly as expensive as a gallon of pertol, $2200 AUD Go figure ??
Me and ten thousand other P2 users would just be happy with a Two slot realistically priced card reader, preferable cheaper than a gallon of petrol.
Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 28, 2008 at 11:27:40 am

Noah,
" also little green men that chant"

Is the P2 secret being green or in the words of the chant??

A client, who is Buddhist, for whom I mastered their film to Betacam would chant as all 2.5 hours of her movie was rendering the latest color corrections and changes. So I am a believer in the chanting process, if I could just remember the words... ;-)... And if you know the little green men words they are chanting, we could sell the words to Ford and GM, etc to make their products as reliable as the P2...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 28, 2008 at 4:11:52 pm

[Bill Thomas] "Not like I'm gonna do it on my garage workbench!! "

I know, I was just teasing you.

It's not as easy as you might think. It's not a simple software raid that you can do on your workbench.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on May 29, 2008 at 8:05:33 pm

I hope some knock-offs are coming soon, and I really hope Panasonic takes it out of first gear and gets those 64GB cards on the market even sooner.

It's just cruel to announce 64GB cards, and then make us wait 6 months before they ship (and that's if they ship on time in appreciable quantities, which hasn't exactly been Panasonic's strong suit with P2 cards lately).

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Jun 6, 2008 at 12:24:25 am

Hi Helmut,
one of my gripes is that because the P2 cards are so dammed expensive, when I shoot with out of town producers who want/need to take the cards immediately back to their base for editing,sometimes hundreds of k's away, I shudder and think, am i going to get them back at all, and if so, what condition will they be in ?.
there are times when cheap tape acquisition may have been better option.
I know there are some HDD options out there , but not everyone's non-linear is geared up to ingest from those sources, ther'e work flow is from P2 cards that's it.
I recently shot a piece using my four 8 gig cards, and shot a total of 8mins approx on each card, (at DV50 SD ) then did a quick burn to a DVD-R disc from each card for the client. (was about 4gig file size) they ingested direct from the DVD-R.
Cheers
Tom K

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Aug 19, 2008 at 11:49:15 pm

+1 - If Panasonic wants wider adoption they should practically give these cards away.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]