FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting in both 720p and 1080i THIS WEEK - need advice, thanks!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Eagan
Shooting in both 720p and 1080i THIS WEEK - need advice, thanks!
on May 21, 2008 at 1:32:16 am

Hey there,

so here is my situation:

I'm editing a short film being shot on the HVX this weekend and the DOP has decided he wants to shoot in 1080i/60 (59.94 is it?) with a pull down to 23.98. That is my understanding. I'm still fairly green and learning the technical aspects of picture editing as I go. He and I just worked on another project where we shot 720pn and there wasn't a hitch. My worry this time is that we have a slow motion sequence that will require Vari speed at 720p, but no doubt that the majority will be shot in 1080.

So my question is this - I know that FCP 6 allows me to edit in multiple frame rates and sizes, etc - but I'm just trying to understand what I'm getting myself into before we get to set. Will I be able to work with this footage, and what will I need to do/know to ensure things go as smoothly as possible?

I don't have any experience as yet w/ Cinema Tools, so I'm hoping the above choices won't result in me having to do a reverse telecine or anything that complicated. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Shooting in both 720p and 1080i THIS WEEK - need advice, thanks!
on May 21, 2008 at 4:31:48 pm

Sure just make sure he's set to shoot 24pA not 24p and FCP will automatically remove the pulldown. That said, the HVX's CCDs are 720p native, so shooting 1080/24pA means less shoot time for not much image gain.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Eagan
Re: Shooting in both 720p and 1080i THIS WEEK - need advice, thanks!
on May 21, 2008 at 8:20:10 pm

I agree that it's almost not worth the trouble but the DP wants to try 1080 this time around and I respect that. my preference would always be to shoot in 720pN, but I'm eager to see what results we get.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]