FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingest to two hard drives at once

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Roof
Ingest to two hard drives at once
on May 14, 2008 at 3:37:55 pm

Does anyone know of a method to ingest P2 data to two hard drives at once? I recently used the Panasonic P2CMS software to ingest P2 data during a field shoot and it worked fine. As a precaution I wanted the data on two hard drives. I did the ingest procedure twice selecting either database on either drive as the destination. Is there a method to send the data to two separate databases on two drives in one step? I'm trying to speed up or automate the process to reduce the time to make redundant copies on location. I realize I could copy all the files from drive A to drive B at the end of the shoot but that would take up too much time waiting for it to complete. Any advice welcome.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
Re: Ingest to two hard drives at once
on May 14, 2008 at 5:29:30 pm

We've been using a 2-drive external SATA RAID 1 array. (mirrored) Take it with us on location.

Computer sees it as one drive. Drives go on the shelf as a set when full. MXFs are copied to "online" RAID 5 for editing. MXFs are deleted from RAID 5 when project complete (archives are on that 2 drive mirrored set).

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 14, 2008 at 6:04:24 pm

totally- this works like a charm and it's completely transparent. Make sure it's two matching drives in terms of speed and capacity.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on May 14, 2008 at 8:20:34 pm

Bob and Noah speak absolute truth. Been doing it this way from the beginning and would not do it any other way. My rule of thumb... The data MUST exist in two separate places BEFORE the P2 card is re-formatted... NO EXCEPTIONS. The Raid-1 (Mirrored) does this. I use a SansDigital MobilSTOR MS2UB and MS2UT and have loved them. Once the drive is almost full (I like to leave about 5% empty) I archive one of them and use a SansDigital MobilSTOR MS1UT as a reader.

Return to posts index

Lars Fuchs
on Jun 12, 2008 at 2:54:40 pm

I just wanted to be sure I understand your workflow: you transfer your footage to the MobilSTOR MS2UB using RAID1, so that the footage is mirrored on each drive in the enclosure. Then when full you split the two drives in the RAID1 apart, archiving one and using the other in the MobilSTOR MS1UT to edit from. Is that correct?

When you mount the drive in the MS1UT, does it appear automatically on your desktop? In other words, it appears as a correctly formatted drive, no additional steps are needed?

Sorry do be dense, just want to be sure I get it. Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Jun 14, 2008 at 4:56:07 am

Lars,

You are not dense, just thorough, and that is a good thing when dealing with footage that could easily be lost with the click of a button if you are not paying attention. You understand correctly the process. The drive come up just like any normal drive would. When I pull the footage from the single drive using the MS1UT I dump the footage on yet another drive when imported into FCP. Best of luck.

Return to posts index

Brandon Lima
on May 15, 2008 at 7:57:58 am

I use a hardware raid 1 two disk array, works great! Sans Digital makes it, haven't had any problems ( I have two )

-Brandon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]