FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic SD to HD Workflow

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thad Ciechanowski
Panasonic SD to HD Workflow
on May 12, 2008 at 9:11:54 pm

Got a project coming up that will include footage shot (1080i or 1080p, not sure yet) with the HDX-900 on DVCPRO tapes and secondary footage shot with the HVX-200 recorded to a firestore. My plan is to offline in SD, and then later online at another facility in HD. I'm going to downconvert the tapes to BetaSP with matching TC for the offline (I don't have an HD deck in house) but I'm not sure how to go about the stuff from the HVX-200. It'll make MXF's, but how do I go about a SD offline with HD MXF files? I feel like transcoding would be a waste of time and problematic for the online. Or is it as simple as just mixing the SD/HD footage in the timeline?

If I transcoded the HD MXF's from the HVX-200 to SD and then batch imported them in an HD project later, would that give me the results I need: offline in SD and online in HD?

Or maybe just transfer all the MXF's to tape? Anyone done this before?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry I triple posted this, just haven't got a response.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Panasonic SD to HD Workflow
on May 12, 2008 at 9:15:35 pm

[Thad Ciechanowski] "My plan is to offline in SD, "

Why? Why not edit in DVCPro HD?

Return to posts index

Thad Ciechanowski
on May 12, 2008 at 9:38:59 pm

I don't have any HD gear, ie: monitor, DNXcel board, or a deck. The plan is for an online at another location with the HD gear I need.

I suppose I could do an offline via firewire and stay in HD, which I might end up doing if I can't figure out something, but I'd still have an issue when it's time to output to tape and monitoring, etc.

The thing that's sticking me is the MXF's from the firestore. I know what tape will do, but I've never used P2's in a scenario like this. If I bring them into an SD project, will they stay HD while I edit or wll they get downconverted? What will this mean for an online to a DS?

Very confusing.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 12, 2008 at 9:43:07 pm

[Thad Ciechanowski] "What will this mean for an online to a DS? "

Ah, sorry man. I have never done this process with an Avid. Hopefully someone can chime in that has.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]