FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB Transfer speeds

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bowman
USB Transfer speeds
on May 12, 2008 at 3:09:58 pm

Should it take over two hours to transfer 14 gig from my HVX200 to my Workstation using USB?

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
Re: USB Transfer speeds
on May 12, 2008 at 5:17:11 pm

It's very possible. USB has a "Full Speed" transfer rate of 1.5 MB/sec. This would give you just under 5.4 GB/hr.

Now, if you're referring to USB 2, it's "possible" to achieve a High Speed transfer of 60 MB/sec., however not all USB 2 devices are certified as High Speed (I have yet to experience anything even close to that with any USB 2 connection I've used).

Best sustained transmission rates are with Firewire 800, when you should be able to transfer 14 GB in about 12-13 minutes. Firewire 400 takes twice as long, and USB 2 is generally a little longer still.

Return to posts index

Brad Bowman
on May 12, 2008 at 8:01:32 pm

So I am on a PC (Dell 8 core workstation) and I can't get the PC to see the HVX using a firewire. I get a 1394 device disconnect message on the HVX and it never is recognized on the PC. This is frustrating.

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on May 12, 2008 at 8:20:40 pm

Jeremy Garchow started to address a similar issue which you can find here:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/193/870384

Are you in Device Mode? If you're in Host Mode it won't show up, it seems.

-S.

Return to posts index

Brandon Lima
on May 13, 2008 at 8:30:53 am

I also had this happen to me. It seems to be the firewire cable. I tired 6 different cables and the only one that worked was the one that came with the hvx200! it was very weird...

USB was a major pain the in but, although it still only took me about 1.5x real time to transfer, and that was with FCP trascoding the footage (macbook pro 2.4ghz ).

-Brandon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]