FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX500 or HPX2100

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Goran Myrendal
HPX500 or HPX2100
on May 7, 2008 at 8:09:36 pm

Hello!

I am thinking of invest in a HPX500 but I am not shure it is good enough when it comes to HD.

If you compare it to HPX2100, is it a big difference of the quality?

Goran

Return to posts index

Barry Green
Re: HPX500 or HPX2100
on May 7, 2008 at 8:53:51 pm

The HPX2100 is cleaner in noise and noticeably sharper. Of course, it's also 2x to 3x the price.

-----------------
Get the most from your DVX camera. The DVX Book and DVX DVD are now available on ebay and at Amazon (http://www.fiftv.com/db)

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on May 7, 2008 at 9:13:53 pm

And something that is very important, when it comes to focusing: You can put an HD viewfinder on the 2100 and only an SD on the 500. HD is much more difficult to focus than SD - With a low resolution monitor you have no chance to focus...

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 7, 2008 at 9:41:41 pm

[Bo Skelmose] "HD is much more difficult to focus than SD"

Boy, I'll second, third and fourth that comment. I've got a 2000 with the Fujinon wide angle HD lens, and it is a touchy mother when it comes to focus. Especially when we are shooting at low fstops (as my DP loves to do). Fortunatly the boss laid out the cash for the Panny 17" flatscreen monitor. Very nice.

MAtt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on May 8, 2008 at 2:44:15 pm

I will say though that if you use the Histogram display you should have no trouble focusing. Additionally keep the peaking on in the VF and LCD. I am able to hit focus everytime.

Best,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 8, 2008 at 3:03:06 pm

[Jan Crittenden Livingston] "Additionally keep the peaking on in the VF and LCD. I am able to hit focus everytime. "

I'll have to check to make sure this is on. Very true. Also, as with anything, it takes practice. Also the QuickZoom on the Fujinon lens is indispensable when it comes to quickly grabbing focus.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Chris Baldwin
on May 8, 2008 at 6:42:42 pm

The focus histogram is the single most useless feature on the camera. It only works when the subject and the camera isn't moving...at all. Life doesn't hold still. Yes bowls of fruit at NAB displays hold still and the histogram looks like a great idea. But I have no idea why Panasonic didn't put the HVX200's focus tool in the 500. The focus histogram is a pointless feature.

Return to posts index

on May 8, 2008 at 7:33:33 pm

Hi Chris,

Just like the focus tool on the 200 takes a bit to get used to, so does the histogram. Between it and the peaking I can indeed hit focus, and yes the subject was moving. The reason that I like the Histogram is that it doesn't get in the way of the composition of the image.

Best,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Brad Neal
on May 15, 2008 at 2:46:19 pm

Unless I'm doing something wrong (which may very well be the case), my biggest complaint with the histogram is that the subject has to be centered in the cross hairs to work properly.

I finally gave up and just ordered 2 8.4" onboard HD monitors for our 500's. An expensive solution, but I'll sleep better at night.

-Brad

Return to posts index

Bronek Gober
on May 22, 2008 at 1:44:29 pm

I don't mean to switch the topic but could you comment on HPX500's performance in low light in comparison to let's say DSR300? Thanks.
Bronek

Bronek

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]