FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage render

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Waldorf
Footage render
on May 7, 2008 at 3:45:25 am

An editor working on my project told me that he has been rendering footage.

I don't recall having to render SD footage just bringing it in the timeline.

We shot 720p at 24p on P2 cards, then imported and into our hard disk and then into Final Cut pro 5. When he drags the clips from the browser into the timeline he says he has to render.

Is this true?

Any explanation?

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
Re: Footage render
on May 7, 2008 at 4:00:48 am

For his Audio/Video Settings in FCP, the Sequence Preset should be "DVCPRO HD - 720p24." In FCP 5, if that setting is something else, he'd need to render your footage to match the sequence. I believe that changed in FCP 6, so that you can edit different formats on the same timeline.

The easy fix is for him to start a new sequence with the proper preset.

Return to posts index

Sam Waldorf
on May 7, 2008 at 11:42:55 am

but thats not a big deal right?

I mean just set it to DVCPRO 720p at 24p and it won't need to render initially right?

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
on May 7, 2008 at 12:05:01 pm

No it's very easy.

FCP 5 you have to set the format by hand.

FCP 6 you drag the footage to the timeline and regardless of the settings it asks you if you want to conform to the settings to match the footage.

It's that simple.

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avid Media Composer HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe Premium CS3.Gspeed ES.Steadicam Clipper 2 OP/Owner.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on May 7, 2008 at 4:44:47 pm

[Sam Waldorf] " I mean just set it to DVCPRO 720p at 24p and it won't need to render initially right?"

Absolutely right. He just needs to just pull down the Final Cut Pro menu (right next to the "Apple" icon on the far left). Then he selects "Audio/Video Settings...," and in the next window he pulls down to the proper "Sequence Preset." In this case it would be "DVCPRO HD 720p24."

-Scott

Return to posts index

Sam Waldorf
on May 8, 2008 at 1:46:50 am

wow thanks,
but, while I'm on the topic, I'd been told that in Final cut 5 you can't edit different resolutions and frame rates in the same timeline, based on what you just told me though, can you edit different ones if you either render or switch the setting back n' forth?

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on May 8, 2008 at 6:26:30 am

[Sam Waldorf] " can you edit different ones if you either render or switch the setting back n' forth?"

Yes and no. Once you establish your Sequence settings you can't change them. You'd need to start a new Sequence.

It is possible in FCP 5, just as your editor is now doing, to take different formats and slap them on one timeline, but not only do you suffer the time it takes to render, you actually change the format of what you shot to match the Sequence you just set up. So it really doesn't make any sense.

Best to just use the proper settings to begin with.

This isn't an issue in FCP 6.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]