FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX-500 vs. Sony PMW-EX1

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Sturns
HPX-500 vs. Sony PMW-EX1
on May 2, 2008 at 11:52:45 pm

I am looking into purchasing an HD camera and was wondering if anyone has done comparisons between the HPX-500 and the PMW-EX1. I understand the technical differences but the lower resolution chip on the HPX is beginning to worry me a little. I have been doing some research into placing an SD lens on the HPX to keep it in par w/ price of the EX1. I have read that a high quality SD lens and and HD lens will not make that big of a difference (at least for my type of work/clients to spend an extra 10K for an HD lens) And I already have a bank of high quality SD glass. I have been looking at some images from the HPX-200 and the HPX-500 and can definitely see the uprezzing they are doing to create 1080P images and it worries me a little. I have not seen in person (but online) images from the EX1 but from what I have seen online the image quality looks very good and most importantly 'clean' and unaltered.

I love full size cameras and this is why I am leaning towards the HPX (as I do alot of doc work), but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/comments/observations. I will need to add a lot of extras to the EX-1 to make it more user - run & gun friendly, so with the new Panasonic Rebates, puts me on par with the HPX in pricing. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: HPX-500 vs. Sony PMW-EX1
on May 3, 2008 at 2:47:17 am

We've been very happy with our HPX... don't slimp on the lens.

If going HD.. go HD... the jobs will look better and you'll see the financial return. Ours paid for itself in 2 months.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on May 3, 2008 at 11:15:08 am

One of the things you will get with an inexpensive lens is Chroma Aberations. Now if you spent $15,000 for that SD lens, it would probably be fine but you won't get all of the resolution that the camera can offer. You need to realize that the output of the CCDs in combination with the spatial offset gives you quality cclose to a 1.1 million pixel imager. That is the technology working for you. Don't dismiss it because you only understand the lower pixel count,it is the chips and the spatial offset that offer to the DSP a 1080P picture to move into the digital domain. The CCD is an analog device. It is after the Spatial offset that the image is captured at 1080 and is processed there.

I have seen a high end HD lens on the HPX500 and it looked better that it had a right to. I totally agree with Richard here, if you can get it, get the HD lens. If you can't well make that the next investment after a job or two. There is the terrific $2000 Rebate going on right now which should help you in you decision making.

Best regards,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 7, 2008 at 1:42:05 am

I will agree with Jan and Richard. I have had my HPX-500 with HD lens for 2 1/2 weeks and I am loving it. Like Richard said, it will pay for itself easily in two months.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]