FORUMS: list search recent posts

No signal from HVX200 component out to AJA ioHD

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Weisbaum
No signal from HVX200 component out to AJA ioHD
on May 2, 2008 at 4:58:37 pm

I am trying to transfer from HVX (footage on P2 cards) out of camera via component into an ioHD box to FCP. The ioHD box will not see the signal. When I hook the component cable to a monitor it works fine so the camera is sending the signal. If I use S output or composite output to the ioHD it works fine. I have been through all the settings with AJA tech support on the ioHD box and we cannot figure it out. I have been through the menu settings on the camera and the only settings I can find that make a difference are the recording setting (which must be set the same as the clip you are trying to play) and the component out setting (which must be set for the clip you are trying to play).

The only discrepency I can see is that (with SD) the camera says it is outputting 480i and the ioHD box accepts 525i 299.97. The AJA guys say this doesn't matter - it should see the signal.

Does anyone have experience with these 2 units that could help?

Return to posts index

Chris Clephane
Re: No signal from HVX200 component out to AJA ioHD
on May 2, 2008 at 5:29:51 pm

I am assuming you are trying to output SD footage.

----
FYI- When the camera is in in P2 mode (as opposed to DV tape mode) the Component (YRB) output can be set in the camera (for monitoring and otherwise..) to 480i, 720p and 1080i. Most use this to hook a Marshall or Panasonic HD monitor to the camera ...as most quickly discover the built-in screen is almost worthless for HD shooting.

If the component output on the camera is set to 720p or 1080i...your SD input device will not "SEE" the signal or be able to lock on to it.

That stated.... S-Video and Composite outputs will ONLY output SD (non-configurable). SO in your situation....BASED on the fact that the AJA "Sees" video from the Svideo and composite, outputs, but not through the component....the Component output on the camera might be set to an HD resolution. (Which would yield NO result/viewable signal on your AJA inputs.)

Double check your camera monitor output settings.

-C

I edit video. I post sometimes.
I fix things. I eat marshmallows.
I play drums. I drink scotch.
I like TV.

Done typing now.

Return to posts index

Craig Weisbaum
on May 2, 2008 at 5:42:22 pm

Chris, Thank you for the response.

I am talking about transfering SD (although I have tried it in every configuration I am currently just sticking to SD until I get it to work). The only "monitor" setting I see on the camera is the "AV in/out setting" in the main camera menu. the sub heading is "CMPNT OUT SEL" and I choose "480i" with the only other choices being "720p" or "1080i".

Is there another monitor setting I'm missing? I can't find it!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 3, 2008 at 4:07:46 pm

Craig,

I am curious why you are using the IoHD to output the P2 cards from the HVX200 to FCP.

Is there a reason you are not just going straight firewire out of the HVX to the Mac-FCP.

The cards are 8bit. Are you trying to capture in Prores at 10 bit?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 3, 2008 at 7:41:28 pm

[Nate Stephens] "The cards are 8bit. Are you trying to capture in Prores at 10 bit?"

because using the D/A conversion in hardware out of the Component spi on the 200 camera will result in a better picture than staying in the native 8bit color space or converting the content in software.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Craig Weisbaum
on May 3, 2008 at 10:51:22 pm

Ultimately I want to be able to capture 10 bit uncompressed HD from the camera (even though I realize it is only DVCPRO HD).

The goal being to capture at the best possible quality.

My understanding is that through firewire the best I can do is a compressed HD format such as DVCPROHD or Prores 422.

NOW, I just want to make sure it works (on principal).

I have since tried other component sources which all play fine through my component monitor but none of which can be seen by the ioHD. AND this is now a new ioHD sent by AJA. WEIRD???

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 4, 2008 at 2:27:42 pm

[Craig Weisbaum] "I have since tried other component sources which all play fine through my component monitor but none of which can be seen by the ioHD. AND this is now a new ioHD sent by AJA. WEIRD???"

My guess is you are not setting the IoHD control Panel to see the Analog inputs, the default will always look for digital input (SDI) first.

Applications > AJA Control Panel and set it to see the analog input.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 4, 2008 at 6:58:25 pm

[gary adcock] "My guess is you are not setting the IoHD control Panel to see the Analog inputs, the default will always look for digital input (SDI) first. "

Agreed. There's an io forum on the Cow as well. Come on over and see us if you are having trouble.

http://forums.creativecow.net/forum/ajaio

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jake Hawkes
on May 14, 2008 at 5:30:28 pm

Changing from 8bit to 10bit is only going to imporve image quality as it pertains to future assets and effects. It is my understanding that you will not have ANY benfit in the quality of the actual video being transcoded to 10bit.

Gravnetic Production
You've had our patatoes!

http://www.Gravnetic.com
1 208 867 8172
Moocycles@hotmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]