FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX500 5600 Preset Fix

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hudson
HPX500 5600 Preset Fix
on May 1, 2008 at 2:33:54 am

Just wondering when the Preset fix that done on Mr. Neals camera was going to made public.

Also would like to know if the it's true that the noise level on the 200A is lower then the level on the 500.

That would really suck.

Return to posts index

David Hudson
Re: HPX500 5600 Preset Fix
on May 1, 2008 at 2:32:52 pm

Yes I know. I'm the one that posted over there. But I noticed Jan was responding here and not there so here I am.

On the 200A matter I'd like a definitive response from someone at Panasonic. Not that I don't like or trust Mr. Green but he doesn't to my knowledge receive a regular paycheck from Panny-san.

To me the problem is the cameras have been out almost a year now and they're still dragging their feet on fixing it. Right now they've fixed 1 camera. They may feel its too expensive to fix every camera. But I feel that this is a warranty issue. The cameras came from the factory with what is by any professional video standard a defect. They need to fix it.

Now!

As an aside I also feel that if the 200A is less noisy than the 500 thats not a good thing either. I could see them orphaning the 500 because it hasn't sold as well as they would have liked and putting all the development money into matching Sony step for step. IE: 200A, EX-3 fighter etc.
If they give a FF about their clients they'll take care of their established customer base. Right now I'd have a difficult time recommending or buying another Panasonic product.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 1, 2008 at 3:54:46 pm

David,

Me thinks you also believe in perfect governments and geese who lay golden eggs.

I have the HVX200 since December 07 and it is making money. I have just ordered the HPX500 and I am confident it will make money. These "machines" have so many settings and menu possibilities that you should be able to "cure" most ills. The 5600 problem can be cured with custom settings... The noise problem inherent in all small chip cameras by default can be controlled thru proper lighting and from my readings (I haven't experimented yet) with the "coring" menu.

Everything in life is Price/performance (including your girlfriend) and that is hardcore but true. McDonalds sells hamburgers for a buck not gourmet perfect every time food.

The HVX200 gives me a bottom price HD camera, at a DV rate card. The HPX500 gives me a mid-level camera with the physical familiar look of Betacam ( corporate friendly) with similar Betacam rate card. If I want a more perfect camera I will rent the 3000 and the extra lenses... But I wont rent the 3000 for the client only willing to pay for the HVX200 rate..

And with all these great "machines" with proven workflow, I do not need to buy a 30K tape deck or a 2K tape deck.... which is way cool....

It is not the tool, it is the user er "artist"...... You can plant corn with a stick....

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on May 1, 2008 at 4:08:28 pm

Glad you feel that way Nate. No other camera I know of from the lowest consumer piece to the highest end HD camera has a preset 5600k problem. Only the 500. Most high end camera allow you to change the preset color temps but not the 500 because it was derived from the prosumer 200.

And why would you make a 5000 dollar camera that was less noisy than your 10000 dollar camera? This is not a price performance issue and I really didn't expect perfection. I knew what the camera was when I bought it. I admit that I didn't check it out in exteriors but then I've never seen a camera that had a problem rendering daylight in all my 40 years of shooting.

If the 500 works for you as is fine, I would not buy it again if I had my druthers.
I want my camera fixed and eventually you will too if you buy one.
If you do buy one I'd wait awhile I have a feeling they'll be cheaper soon.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 1, 2008 at 4:19:39 pm

David,

"I didn't check it out in exteriors but then I've never seen a camera that had a problem rendering daylight"

Are you saying the 500 can't make a decent outside picture? Or an interior with proper lighting. Have you worked thru all the menus ?

I don't expect a 3000 look out of the 500 I just ordered, but I do expect a look that is better than my Sony DXCwsl 35 Betacam SP...

From what I have read the 5600 problem can be "worked around" thru the presets... no it is not perfect but....

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on May 1, 2008 at 4:49:12 pm

Sure you can work around it. You can carry a 5600 balance around all day in one of the a/b slots but why should you have to.
The camera should work as advertised. There will be many times when you're shooting as a pro that you'll need all the white balances you can get. Indoors, outdoors, mixed tungsten daylight
,mixed flour tungsten, and all in the space of about 20 minutes.
And you have to ask yourself as I have many times why would they let them leave the factory this way. I've heard all the explanations my favorite being they balanced them under the wrong lights at the factory which if you think about it too long is almost as frightening as it is laughable.
Oh and When you get your 500 flip on the 2x and shoot something at the tele end of your lens with an out of focus background stopped down and tell me how you like the bokeh. Or should I say Baykeh.

Now you'll probably hear people chiming in about all the other problems with other cameras like the Sony etc. but like your mother says just because everyones doing you shouldn't do it too.

bon chance mon ami

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on May 1, 2008 at 5:06:49 pm

I too would like to know if/when this 5600 Preset fix will be announced, and whether it will require sending my camera in or some sort of firmware update.

Just because there is a work-around does not make it a non-issue. Work-arounds consume time and/or resources to correct something that should work right to begin with.

-Adam

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 1, 2008 at 5:11:18 pm

I can understand the run and gun, give me a white card quick, lament.. I just never been in that situation..

But the noise in outside shots you mentioned???

and

"flip on the 2x and shoot something at the tele end of your lens with an out of focus background stopped down and tell me how you like the bokeh. Or should I say Baykeh."

I didn't buy it with a lens. I will find out just how soft my SD lens is first.

Translate "Baykeh" that doesn't sound midwestern at all....

Is it your experience that the 2x extender is not worth the extra money???

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on May 1, 2008 at 7:17:40 pm

The noise is not just in the outside shots and I'm not complaining about the noise per se just the fact that their cheaper camera may be less noisy than their more expensive camera. I know they've probably done this to keep pace with the Sony ex-1 to whom I assume they were losing sales. But still if the tech was available so quickly to fix the 200 you would think they would have incorporated it into the 500 from the get go.

Sorry I'm a little under the weather today and I had to cancel a shoot because I've got a bad cold. So my so called thought processes may not be up to snuff.

The 2x is almost always worth it. Baykeh was just a joke relating to the fact that under some situations the Bayer filter on the ccd can cause some odd looking backgrounds on teleshots. It usually shows up as the foreground object being in focus and the background looking like a series of diagonal lines. It happens alot when you're shooting outside and you have a lot of small objects like leaves in the background.
It was a joke relating to the quality called bokeh that is the quality of out of focus images so prized by the Japanese that they invented the term. Leica still camera lens have what is considered the best. Panavision and zeiss have it in spades in movie camera world.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on May 1, 2008 at 10:13:56 pm

Hi,

I have been responding to posts here and on Dvxuser, about the smae number of times. This issue and its fix will be announced shortly. We have been waiting for two things,the first is for the supply of kits to come in for the update(so yes you will have to send your camera in if you need the 5600K preset to be 5600K exactly, and the second is for the engineer that has perfected the fix to get back from vacation. Should be by Monday next week.

Best to all,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on May 2, 2008 at 2:54:24 am

If I want my 5600k preset to be 5600k exactly? What kind of newspeak is that?

As per your last post I thought this was a software issue in the DSP. Now they've got a kit they've got to install. OMFG. How about just puting in a whole new correct vision block and dsp.
Thats probably what it really needs.
This is a warranty issue I'll be happy to take it to a local center but if it's got to go to you in Jersey its on your dime. No excuses or you can have the whole camera back. No BS.

What about the noise issue as compared with the 200A?

I'm really tired of the BS.
Act like a real professional company or suffer the consequences.

This is all in public now no PMs

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on May 2, 2008 at 3:40:16 am

Just an aside.

I really thought Yamada san had made more changes at Panny NA but I guess not.

You're still too slow. Sony is ur house eaten all ur food!

Return to posts index

on May 2, 2008 at 11:07:46 am

[David Hudson] "If I want my 5600k preset to be 5600k exactly? What kind of newspeak is that? "

Not newspeak at all. Not everyone uses the 5600K as daylight changes constantly. 5600K is a term adopted by Kodak for 12:00 noon on the some specific day in July in Syracuse, NY. Not everyone needs the 5600K because not everyone uses it. Those that want it, should stay tuned.

[David Hudson] "As per your last post I thought this was a software issue in the DSP. Now they've got a kit they've got to install. OMFG. How about just puting in a whole new correct vision block and dsp. "

It is a kit, sorry it is not replacing the vison block, not sure where you get this stuff. It is a new software eprom. Not huge but easier than pulling the old one, reburning and then putting it back in.

[David Hudson] "This is a warranty issue I'll be happy to take it to a local center but if it's got to go to you in Jersey its on your dime. No excuses or you can have the whole camera back. No BS. "

Well then you will need to see your dealer about having him take your camera back because there is only one place to have the camera fixed, and that is in NJ. It is a warranty repair and the only place that can execute it is in NJ. There is not a local repair facility in your area.

[David Hudson] "What about the noise issue as compared with the 200A?"

It is as quiet as the 200A. The trick that makes the 200A quieter came from the 500.

[David Hudson] "I'm really tired of the BS.
Act like a real professional company or suffer the consequences."

I do believe we are. We are resolving the problem and making sure that the problem resolved does not affect anything else, this has taken the most amount of time.

[David Hudson] "This is all in public now no PMs"

The only reason I wanted PMs on DVXuser was to try and get you to send your camera in, so that it would have been your camera having been fixed, but you chose not to do this. I should have the process for who you need to contact by Monday and will post back here.

Best,

Jan

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on May 2, 2008 at 3:35:07 pm

I'm sorry but every camera on the planet except the 500 has a decent 5600 preset so don't act like its a special feature. Thats just ridiculous.

5600k is black body radiation at specific frequency and not just some arbitrary thing like you seem to think it is.
You may argue with Lord Kelvin about that but I don't think you'll get an answer. He's dead. BTW he's the K in 5600k.

Making it sound like I want something special is particularly silly when you could look it up in any high school physics book
or even google color temperature.

But the real problem here is color cast. What you want any camera to do is to provide presets the look reasonably close to what your eye sees in the same situation.
Most cameras can do this especially outside. Having a gorgeous blue sky render yellow-green is not even close to what the eye sees and this is what the 500 does. You can see it on scopes and you can see it with your eyes.
Why it does it I don't know but it does it.
But I'm still left with the nagging feeling that it isn't a mistake but something that was done to enhance some other part of the cameras performance.
Maybe the reason it took so long fix is it was hard to do it without breaking something else.
The fact that its in the yellow green part of the spectrum is interesting. Especially since that carries the luminance info.
Perhaps too high a voltage to all the green pixels?
Who knows. Maybe you should have just used an daylight filter in the filter wheel.

On another matter I'm not sure why I should be fiscally punished for your mistake. As I said before all I did was buy the camera. You built it and sent it out with a problem.
If you really cared about your customers you'd pick up the shipping to fix a problem like this. But obviously you don't.
Good luck in your future endeavors as this will assuredly be the last Panasonic camera I buy for a long, long, time.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 2, 2008 at 4:02:56 pm

David. Where did you get the camera? When I have had problems with my Panny cameras, my dealer takes the camera off of my hands, sends it in to Panasonic for warranty repair and handles the fallout for me. No cost to me. They just call when it's back in and ready for pickup.

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on May 2, 2008 at 5:36:31 pm

[David Hudson] "Most cameras can do this especially outside. Having a gorgeous blue sky render yellow-green is not even close to what the eye sees and this is what the 500 does. You can see it on scopes and you can see it with your eyes.
Why it does it I don't know but it does it. "

I don't own the HPX500 but is this what happens on AWB or does it happen even if you set white balance? For the 5600K you could set a preset using a color meter.

"everything is broken" ......Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on May 2, 2008 at 5:56:24 pm

Rennie please read all the previous posts. There is no atw on the 500.

Thanks for your concern.

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on May 2, 2008 at 5:52:51 pm

I bought it at WH Platts in Atlanta. They're a Panasonic dealer here.

The last time I talked to them about this they said Panasonic wasn't going to do anything about it because enough people hadn't complained.

Maybe now they will.

They seem like good folks although I've had like zero contact with them after I bought the camera.

I really don't see why I can't take it to Panasonic service center and let them handle it. There are at least two of them in town. It's kind of scary that only one guy in the country can fix this problem. Although if they've got to de-solder then re-solder an eprom to a circuit board that can be tricky. Too much heat in the wrong place and its good bye board. Most manufacturers would just throw the whole board away and plug in a new rev board.
But that would probably require a whole new fab and probably cause them to lose whatever profit they've made on the cameras. I really think this camera didn't take off the way they thought it would. So they're less then willing to do anything but try to sell out the ones they've already built and move on.

I'm a little leery of even sending it up there because if they do screw something up fixing it I'll have to go through the whole process all over again. Warranty not withstanding the best warranty is reliable equipment. A Hyundai comes with a 10 year warranty but I still rather buy a Toyota with a 3 year warranty because you'll probably never use it. Don't buy the warranty because equipment in the shop isn't making you money.
The 5 year warranty is great but this seems to be something so sensitive that only the the high priests at Panasonic can fix it.

Which brings me back to my original conjecture, Are they embarrassed to let field techs know what happened? Is the fix so funky that face will be lost throughout the organization? Did legal get involved? Hey who knows.
It's really just a mess any way you look at it.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 2, 2008 at 8:36:48 pm

" I really think this camera didn't take off the way they thought it would:

David, like how old is this camera? A year and some months,,,, HD, 2/3, SDI (10bit), P2,,,,

Helloooooooo....... This is great tech, it is not your daddies Corrolla,,, Yes you were the brave, the vanguard, the few, who bought the firsts tickets on this Roller Coaster Ride called HPX500,,,

But really, has it paid for itself?? And I ask, cause I watched those first riders having a lot of fun with the HPX500 roller coaster.... Would you have felt better if you had waited a year, like me, and saved a bunch of money on the camera (rebate) and lens (Cannon price drop).

Or did I just leave a lot of money on the table by not being a pioneer, er,, earlier adopter....

Return to posts index

on May 2, 2008 at 10:59:39 pm

Hi All,

I know that it has been a concern to those of you that use 5600K Preset and when it is selected it seems to find color temperature balance giving the images a slight greenish cast. If you would like to, camera's settings of 5600K Preset can be changed by our Panasonic Broadcast Engineering in Secaucus, NJ free of charge under standard warranty. All cameras registered into PASS for Panasonic extended warranty will be done under warranty as well.
Please send your request to pbtscservice@us.panasonic.com indicating your contact information and full serial number of your camera. You will be contacted to schedule service. It usually takes 1-2 working days to complete service, excluding time of shipping. All camera get ship similar method as they are ship in, i.e.: ship in Overnight, ships out Overnight, ship in UPS Ground gets shipped out UPS Ground. You pay for shipping in, Panasonic pays for shipping back.
This service is provided for AGHPX500P cameras sold by Panasonic Broadcast & Television Systems Company (USA) only.
For units sold in other countries please contact Panasonic office in the country of the origin.

P.S.
Panasonic Broadcast is now offering an industry first, total five-year limited warranty repair program on all full-sized P2 HD camcorders and select P2 HD field decks, all at no cost to our customers. Please visit our PASS registration website http://panasonic.biz/sav/pass_e , register your product, and protect your investment in Panasonic P2 HD gear with free of charge extended warranty.
To qualify you must register within 30 days from the date of purchase!
More info at ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/manuals/WT_PBTS_P2HD.pdf "

Hope this helps!

Best,

Jan

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 2, 2008 at 11:09:31 pm

Jan,

The new HPX500 that I ordered from our local dealer last Monday, will it arrive with the 5600 preset fixed or should we just mail it back for an early fix..

Has the HPX500 factory implemented the 5600 correction if so, when, manufacture date/serial numbers

I have yet to receive the HPX500 or hear of a ship to date.

Thanks

Return to posts index

on May 3, 2008 at 9:13:08 pm

Hi Nate,

Not sure of the implementation date. Send me you serial number when you get it and I will confirm.

Best,

Jan

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on May 3, 2008 at 4:11:33 pm

This is directly answering Nates questions.

You really have to ask yourself what you're going to do with the camera and who your clients are. If you've been shooting with a 200 or an SD camera yes you'll be impressed.

If your clients are used to full HD cameras like the 900 or others of their ilk and you try to sell them on the 500 the answer is no, particularly if you're doing alot of big nature photography. To my eyes the pixel shift tech really falls down on big wide shots. They always tend to look a bit soft and noisy. I notice this with the 200 too but to a greater degree.
It's also more noticeable on high res computer monitors then it is on HDTV. But of course the first place you usually see the stuff is in post, on a computer screen.
I know there are technical reasons for this but it just gets boring. Pixel shift tech is a compromise to get HD cameras to certain price point. The bigger the chip the lower the yield so the higher the price per chip. So if you can make small chips perform like big chips with some elec wizardry you can produce a camera that looks pretty good most of the time for a reasonable price.

I shoot with a lot of different cameras not just the ones I own so I have a pretty good idea of the looks they're capable of producing. Don't just read the brochure. Rent the camera first and see if you like it or at least go demo it somewhere.
Am I glad I bought it a while back? No. But not for the reasons of tech. This is the first Panasonic camera I've bought or used that just didn't grow on me. I think a lot of it had to do with the preset problem. This was something so obvious that they should have caught before the cameras shipped. It was always in the back of my mind and left me with the nagging feeling that there might be another surprise waiting. On set with the train of production rolling down the tracks is no place for equipment in which you have no faith.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 3, 2008 at 4:48:55 pm

Thanks David,

You have confirmed some of my hopes for this camera. I shoot Betacam SP with a Sony DXCwsl35. I was hoping when I purchased it that Sony would develop a pixel shift upgrade and HDV VTR back for this camera. But not..

It sounds from your reply that the HPX500 is an improved picture over the Sony DXCwsl (even with SD lens on HPX) The Panny 900 with 2 man crew commands a 2K rate in our Ohio market. It is my goal to match our Betacam SP rate (or slight rate uptick) of 1.4K per day with 2 man crew.

I would love to buy the 3000 for the image and the P2 workflow, but I know that our market will not support it and my current clients will not notice the difference.

I appreciate your pioneering spirit. Somebody has to be first inline...

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on May 3, 2008 at 5:37:00 pm

My sentiments exactly about the price point. I try to send a package out in the 1000-1200 price range.

If you can buy a 200A too as your some of your younger clients wont't get the shoulder mount thing.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

on May 2, 2008 at 10:53:04 pm

[David Hudson] "The last time I talked to them about this they said Panasonic wasn't going to do anything about it because enough people hadn't complained."

David, I do believe that this is now the 10th time that I have said on a public forum that Panaosonic is aware of the problem and that we will fix anybody's camera as a warranty repair. Where Platts got their information is beyond me, you have better info than they do obviously. You have actually heard the same thing at least 7 times from me.

"Maybe now they will.

Have said from the very beginning in that very long thread of DVXuser every since September when it first came up. It was not the easiest of things to get at and fix but we are very confident that the solution we have come up with is viable and it works extremely well.

"They seem like good folks although I've had zero contact with them after I bought the camera.

I really don't see why I can't take it to Panasonic service center and let them handle it. There are at least two of them in town. It's kind of scary that only one guy in the country can fix this problem. Although if they've got to de-solder then re-solder an eprom to a circuit board that can be tricky. Too much heat in the wrong place and its good bye board. Most manufacturers would just throw the whole board away and plug in a new rev board."

What if those Panasonic service centers don't know how to work on your camera? What if they are not qualified to work on your camera at this level. Do you still want them to work on it. What if they can't even find the right eprom? I have a tech in NJ who helped figure out the fix and you don't want him to do it? Why? This is like saying that you want to go to the heart surgeon for a transplant who has only done it once before, instead of the lead heart specialist.

"But that would probably require a whole new fab and probably cause them to lose whatever profit they've made on the cameras. I really think this camera didn't take off the way they thought it would. So they're less then willing to do anything but try to sell out the ones they've already built and move on.

I think is real garbage and the camera is a great camera and we are making a lot of profit on it, even with this.

I'm a little leery of even sending it up there because if they do screw something up fixing it I'll have to go through the whole process all over again. Warranty not withstanding the best warranty is reliable equipment. A Hyundai comes with a 10 year warranty but I still rather buy a Toyota with a 3 year warranty because you'll probably never use it. Don't buy the warranty because equipment in the shop isn't making you money."

And you have a 5 year warranty on this camera, that is of course providing you registered your camera. So this camera will be fixed, now the 8th time I have said that to you, and it will be a perfect camera.

"The 5 year warranty is great but this seems to be something so sensitive that only the the high priests at Panasonic can fix it."

And who else would you want to fix it, the local car mechanic? Come on.

"Which brings me back to my original conjecture, Are they embarrassed to let field techs know what happened? Is the fix so funky that face will be lost throughout the organization? Did legal get involved? Hey who knows.
It's really just a mess any way you look at it."

Well it isn't a real mess and no legal did not get involved, for what purpose? The fix is not funky, it works and works extremely well. The field techs are field techs and they do not have the bench equipment that is available in NJ. We are not embarrassed, do we wish this hadn't happened? Sure. Can we fix it? Yes we can. Can they fix it without all of the bench equipment that we have in NJ? No.

So my next post will be the goods on getting it fixed(9th time.) Please make sure you email the good folks in service to schedule your camera.

Best recards,

Jan

Return to posts index

paul colin
on May 6, 2008 at 12:46:51 am

Have missed the last couple of days at this forum.
So I was little taken aback with the vociferous froufoura around the 5600K preset issue.
Either my color vision is going to heck in a hand basket or the HPX500 I purchased last September does not have this problem. In any case I do not notice any color cast on footage shot out of doors with the 5600K preset. Am I also to understand the manual white balance using the old white card method doesn't work?
I was just shooting outside this afternoon and the footage included large portions of sky (albeit shot with ND filter) none of which looked greenish on my HD monitor after ingest. Am I missing something?
Cheers,
Paul Colin,
Cezanne Studio, NYC

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 6, 2008 at 4:30:53 pm

Paul,

Take your camera outside and just use the 5600 preset value and then look at your monitor. Do not use the white balance and white card method.

And get back to us wether you have a greenish cast to your blue skys..

I just ordered my HPX500.... It would be interesting to know if I should really worry about this issue..

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on May 6, 2008 at 9:03:46 pm

[Nate Stephens] "And get back to us wether you have a greenish cast to your blue skys..

I just ordered my HPX500.... It would be interesting to know if I should really worry about this issue.."

It's mostly visible in neutral-colored areas, grey sidewalks and the like... shoot something with the preset, then white balance and shoot it again. It's not horribly off, and certainly fixable in a number of ways, but having the preset work correctly would certainly be better.

I'll be sending my camera off to be tweaked once I have the time, but I have a few shoots lined up first (that will turn out just fine).

-Adam

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

paul colin
on May 6, 2008 at 10:59:19 pm

Nate,
Yikes! Bad news! Indeed the dreaded green cast is there.
I rarely use the presets. Usually I white balance with a card to get the advantage of shooting in real prevailing conditions
rather than the presets.
Hmmm now I have to decide whether I want to send the camera out for the fix or live with it.
I'll think it over.
Actually I usually shoot a tad warmer outside, about 4900K, makes those skies just little bluer than 5600.
Other than that I love this camera, with the caveat of having invested in really good glass. My lens costs almost twice as much as the camera itself. But it's worth it.
Good luck w/your 500.
Best,
Paul

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 7, 2008 at 2:16:07 am

Paul,

Thanks for checking. I always use a white card also. But why bring in a new camera with a known problem. Hopefully they will fix it before they ship it..... Ya think....

You mentioned that you have a great lens. What lens are you using? Is it HD with the CAC?

I ordered the camera without lens, so I don't miss out on the rebate. Hopefully a couple of jobs later I can purchase a good piece of glass, but which kind???

Return to posts index

paul colin
on May 7, 2008 at 12:19:19 pm

It's the Canon HJ17ex7.6B-IRSE e-HDxs 17x 2/3" ENG High Definition Wide Angle Lens, with 2x Extender.
I tried the bundled Canon CAC lens that was offered with the camera... just didn't cut it.
This one lists for about 19K... I got it for a tick under 17.
B&H has it for 17.5K.

Thanks
PC

Return to posts index

Brad Neal
on May 15, 2008 at 3:05:44 pm

Sorry, I missed this thread, but I am the one that had my camera's 56k problem fixed as the test machines, and I can vouch for the success of the repair.

We had 2 500's suffering for the green cast, but after the fix, all is well. We just shot a 2-day, 2-camera outdoor event and the 5600k preset is dead-on.

I sent both cameras in on separate occasions, and in both instances, we had the cameras back in a matter of a few days.

I wasn't sure that I wanted to part with the cameras long enough to get them fixed (as I was able to do a manual white balance to obtain 5600), but in retrospect, I'm glad that I had them done. It is very handy having the preset ready to go with the flip of a switch.

Thanks,
Brad Neal

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Jun 30, 2008 at 1:37:25 pm

Will thix fix apply worldwide?

Return to posts index

Paul Kramm
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:03:15 pm

this is Sept 30, 2009.
did they fix the preset problem on the HPX500 yet??

Thanks Paul,

Return to posts index

Cory Williams
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:34:48 am

It's NOW April 2010 and the answer to your question is this 5600 preset "fixed," NO. NO IT ISN'T.

Even AFTER paying to send in a new camera in 2010 which is absolutely insane, why in the hell would I have to pay to send in a camera you sold me with a defect ? I wouldn't tolerate that sort of BS from the local supermarket over a bad water mellon much less a 10 thousand dollar camera.

I think I may have even burst a fkn kidney laughing at the panny rep here trying to reason out that "if you want a true 5600, and not everyone does......" WHAT ??? Why in gods name if you don't have a true 5600 preset, why not call it a 5600 or so preset ? I can't believe that Panasonic would have a member of their team spouting off this sort of stupidity in a public forum. NO, the camera even after being sent in for the "fix," STILL HAS THE GREEN TINT TO IT AND IT. DO NOT BUY THIS CAMERA AND DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH PANASONIC.

I remember years ago when panny first started trying to make inroads into broadcast I had an engineer who by the way is the most anal individual I have ever met say to me, it's not the gear that will cause them to fail, it's the gear AND THE SERVICE. I chalked that up to the investment in Sony gear they had made over the years and when it came time to buy an HD at the 10 grand price point I threw caution to the wind and did it. Man was mr anal tech ever right- You want a new out of the box piece of gear you have to find a fix for or a go around to use ? If you do, buy the HPX 500.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]