FORUMS: list search recent posts

RE: HVX 200 outdoor settings

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
RE: HVX 200 outdoor settings
on Apr 23, 2008 at 1:51:33 am

I am not new to shooting, but fairly new. I hae had an HVX for 8 months and have done primarily indoor shooting. Yesterday I did an outdoor shoot and had a problem. My image was so blown out I had to set the ND filter to 1/64 in the sunlight. My shutter was a 1/48, and i had everything else on automatic. We had clouds roll in and I was able to take of the ND filter and adjust the f stop.

I was told for outoor shooting that I neded to adjust the shutter speed.

For those that know the HVX did I have a problem with my camera? I was thinking maybe I needed a full software reset or a firmware update.

Any knowledge will help. I am hoping I don't have a problem withthe camera.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: RE: HVX 200 outdoor settings
on Apr 23, 2008 at 3:04:18 am

Um well what went wrong- can you post a still of the problem or something. I never recommend keeping the camera in full auto because it results in unnatural shifts in focus and exposure.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Apr 23, 2008 at 3:46:03 am

Sorry, I can't. They wanted DV and I didn't roll tape, I was trying to solve the problem. Basically it looked like a very over exposed image. It was all white with barley enough detail to see the difference between the sidewalk, grass and trees. I can try and take it outside at high noon and grab a still from a DV tape

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 23, 2008 at 5:45:19 pm

Well that's contrast control- you can't really shoot everything you see outdoors as is without ND filters, reflector boards, silks etc and expect to get a well exposed image. Really with any digital camera.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Apr 23, 2008 at 6:10:15 pm

I talked to panasonic and they said there my be an iris problem while on automatic. They told me to reset everything and then take it outside and see if it is till blown out. I get what you are saying and intense light should blow out the image. i just didn't expect it to me so drastic.

Return to posts index

Dave Neyman
on Apr 23, 2008 at 6:55:59 pm

Perhaps you already checked this but did you make sure that you had your gain turned off? I've heard of horror stories from people who have accidently left it on from shooting in dark interiors and then taken the camera outside. While it does not always look evident in the camera monitor it sure shows up in the footage.

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Apr 24, 2008 at 3:07:40 pm

I believe the gain was off. i am very compulsive about things. I have bright sunlight today and took the camera out and turned it on (after a reset). I had better image. It was a little blown out, but that is to be expected. I adjusted the iris and things were fine. I think my initial problem was waking with the camera on from inside to outside. They reset may have helped.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Attila Alpman
on May 12, 2008 at 8:35:26 am

i just got back from shooting some 'newsy' footage - frequently changing from out- to in-doors, no time to do white balancing, let alone set up lights or reflectors, in the azerbaijan midday sun, and decided to go full auto with the preset scene file 1 on 1080/60 for the first time (it wasn't that important, so i could take a risk) and all i tried to work with was the ND filters and the WB presets. I even used the zoom button, which i usually don't, and, also for the first time, the OIS.
... it looked great. i still can't believe how great it looks.
skin looks like skin, sky looks like sky, rich contrasts ... everything i could have asked for in a one-person, no-preparation shoot.
I've had the HVX200 for 5 months now and i'm loving every minute of it.
Call me crazy, but with all other cameras i had before, i used shutters all the time, with the HVX200, i only use as a gimmick, together with odd frame rates and wild chroma settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]